The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Get Lowered
S&S Cycle
Burly
Biltwell

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: HVA TE610
Other Motorcycle Year: 1994
Slashkutt is on a distinguished roadSlashkutt is on a distinguished road
Default Chain and sprocket combo

20 or 21 teeth on the front and 51 on the back is standard, right?
Does anyone know how many links to the chain go with that setup?
Any recommendation for chain: O-ring or else, specific brand?
Thanks!
Old 24th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice
Default Chain n Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashkutt View Post
20 or 21 teeth on the front and 51 on the back is standard, right?
Does anyone know how many links to the chain go with that setup?
Any recommendation for chain: O-ring or else, specific brand?
Thanks!
If your bike is the later Wet Clutch you can use an O Ring Chain, if early Dry Clutch the standard chain works best so that there is clearance behind the Sprocket cover.. the Heavy Duty or O ring are fatter and that becomes an issue if early dry clutch, I have used Diamond XDL also Tsubaki standard 530, about 110 Link and I fit it to size, some bikes have longer swingarms than early sportster so it's best to buy longer and fit the chain..
for all around use a 21 up front seems to be the popoular way to go with the stock 51 at back, if you go 19 or 20 it will be more peppy around toen but not to great on the hyway.. serious hyway touring you can go 22/23
I have the 21/51 on my 69 sportster and I like it...
Old 25th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

106 links is standard length and should fit that combo.
Old 25th December 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
joey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the rough

I like a long chain I fit it then break it to the length I need. I'd rather do it that way then to buy a chain that is to small. Get a breaker at harbor fr. For around 10 bucks or use a grinder carefully on the pin then pop the link off with a punch or screw driver
Old 25th December 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashkutt View Post
... Does anyone know how many links to the chain go with that setup? ...
Change in either sprocket size or chain links typically does not require a change in the other - unless perhaps your chain is too tight already and you are going to a larger sprocket.
Know Thy Hog