The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Don's Cyclewear
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Zippers Performance

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
newHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished road
Default Question for NRHS

Hi Guys!

I bought a 1250 kit about three years ago from y'all (stage II XB heads). I have been gearing up to get her dyno'd in the near future but confronted with $750 bucks to do it, I am scratching my head. At it stands, the bike is bringing me big smiles and tons of joy, and when I twist it up with my biker buds, I generally leave them behind me. The bike has an updated but still stock ignition (screaming eagle module, replacement module in the nose cone). So, what exactly am I leaving on the table by not getting a programmable ignition, and having it dyno'd? Is it not worth the trouble? Might a stock setup be getting me %90 the way there or am I in all likelihood leaving lots of efficiency on the table? Or, might you recommend getting a programmable setup and not bothering with dyno?

For what its worth, three years out. . .the bike runs great! Doesn't seem to burn any oil and just yesterday I was riding with a bud; he was on his Triumph 900. We wicked it on and I saw him in my rearview mirror. When we stopped next, he asked, "So is it just the cubic inches that lets you do that?" I chuckled and we talked about it for a bit. Thanks for the smiles guys. . . . . . .

Best,
josh
Old 11th June 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

$750 for a dyno tune?? Where are you located as that is a ridiculous price for a carbed bike.
www.nrhsperformance.com

AMA 1350cc M-PG record holder @167.452 mph.
faster than the BNI record too.
Old 11th June 2012
JESTER MAFIA

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHDnut View Post
...I have been gearing up to get her dyno'd in the near future but confronted with $750 bucks to do it, I am scratching my head...

Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default not that expensive

A good dyno tune is not cheap but, not $750 dollars. A price more like $300-400 is about right for a through (ie: carburetor adjustments, changing jets, adjusting timing ect) dyno tune. About 2-4 hours of labor at the average shop rates. ($50-75 hr)

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)

Last edited by jessearias; 11th June 2012 at 22:41..
Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

As Dan asked, what part of the planet do you live on?

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S-awesome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

As much as I like to tinker, your bike sounds in the category of "leave well enough alone, son!"
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

If you are pleased with the way it runs, you are getting decent fuel milage, no pinging or deceleration popping, and the spark plugs are not really white or very black and wet i would say all is good let it be. especially for $750 .
Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH NRHS 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Bulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the roughBulpitt is a jewel in the rough

I have a 95 conversion with dyna 2000p ignition. There are 4 maps programed into it. I live in LA & got it dyno tuned for $150, $225 if they have to change jets...$750 id pretty ridiculous.
Old 11th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
newHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished roadnewHDnut is on a distinguished road

Oh my...sorry. 750 would include the cost of buying a programmable ignition. They want $300-$350 for the dyno....(still seems high to me). The shop was recommended elsewhere on the site. The bike has an S&S G, the kit, and stock everything else. I live in Brooklyn ny and the shop recommended for the dyno is on Long Island.

Thanks for the support/input.

J
Old 11th June 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

what kind of ignition? Since yours is a 1996 all you need is a simple Dyna plug in box style ignition which I sell for $204. You can still use your stock coil even.

I would look for another dyno tuner if it was me.

Dan
NRHS
Know Thy Hog