The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
BIKE BUILDER
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches
Burly

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 0000
steve303sg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what sportster should I buy ????

hi guys.
my name is steve, I live in london uk.
I am just about to buy my first sportsrer, my question is which one.
should I get the 883 and convert to 1200 or just buy a 1200.
also is a pre 04 bike realy that uncomfortable over distance, so should I be looking at a rubber mount model.
any advise as to which to buy will be greatly appreciated.
I have been customizing bikes for nearly forty years now so I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty, in fact I like building them as much as riding.
I am looking for a carb model as I like to tune them myself and not rely on a re, map.
I am thinking along the lines of an 06 1200.
there are quite a lot of them for sale here, most with way under 10,000 miles
for around ú5000.
your thoughts please.
thanks steve.
Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
mlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of lightmlan12 is a glorious beacon of light

I bought a 06 1200 Low brand new. I have about 20K on the bike now. I have been very happy with this bike.
Old 11th June 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

It might be better to start searching the classifieds in your area and let us know what you find for what price. If you can find say a 1200 for only $500 more than a comparable 883, then the 1200 is the one to buy but if the price difference is several thousand then the 883 would be the one to buy.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 11th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

I would get a 2003, or older for the lighter bike, and transmission removable through the trap door, but the newer bikes aren't bad at all.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 11th June 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xl<1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: roadster xl1200r
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
desert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the roughdesert rat is a jewel in the rough

the one you like

Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

I've owned 12 Harleys over the last 38 years. My 1973 Sporty enjoyed being worked on as much as being ridden. Drum brakes will stop you. Carbs are easier/cheaper to work on. Chains work for a while. Generators work with maintenance, points are easier to work on than electronic ignitions (good think because they need maintained), Solid mounts won't kill you. The Pans and Shovelheads liked oil, breaking and wearing stuff out.

For the last 109 years Harley has put a lot of engineering into their products and MOST of it has been for the better.

My preference is rubber mounted Harleys, I've owned 4. I like belt drives, dual disc brakes, electric start, low maintenance, EFI, dependability, no oil usage, etc... The newer the scoot the newer all the parts are, a brand new bike has all brand new parts.

Buy the 1200, you'll never wish it was an 883.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. if you just want a nice stock harley to ride as is without many modifications then i would go for a brand new 1200. if you are thinking of doing a lot of motor upgrades i would suggest looking for a very low milage 883 and convert into 1250 with all the little improvements like head work and cams. That will get you a better engine around the same price or cheaper than the new 1200. that is if you can do the labor yourself. everyone has their own plan and are happy with different things. i would say go with what you feel is right and don't worry about what others think, because you will get many different opinions.
Old 11th June 2012
Boat Drinks

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Get any bike that you can truly afford...don't get in hawk because you want.

Other things are much more important. Be comfortable with your purchase.
Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve303sg View Post
also is a pre 04 bike realy that uncomfortable over distance, so should I be looking at a rubber mount model.
I am thinking along the lines of an 06 1200.
The pre 04 rigid mounted motors are not uncomfortable. The 1200 vibrates more than an 883 (bigger pistons), but a stock geared 1200 is good for sustained highway speeds up to about 75 MPH. At 80 MPH, my 2002 1200S exercised the forearms and the mirrors weren't so clear. I would not expect that to be an issue in the London area. Rubbsters are smoother cruising, but shake your eyeballs at idle, more than rigid mounted motors. Rubbsters also seem to whip the battery cables more. The 06 would be the last year of the carb and would avoid dealing with EFI.

For canyon or town riding, I would be pleased to still have my 2003 XLH883. Its limitations were passing on a long grade, 2 up, and strong head winds.
Old 11th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
morvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud of

I did more research that was sensible, discounted every Sportster of each era for one reason or another and purchased what I believe to be the best of all the available worlds. A 2004 rubber mount, carb fuelled, XL1200R. Why? EVO rubber mount is a good compromise, if I really wanted a true original Sportster (and I thought I did) I would have to go Iron Head not frame mount EVO, and if I am honest a kicker. EFI is just impossible to maintain at home without all the diagnosis tools, even the rubber mount carb EVO has more electronic gizmo's than I can honestly say I fully understand. That said it still behaves like a carb fuelled engine so there are sufficient clues for you to work out what is happening. Unit construction is good, starter (or overrun clutch) will need changing at 14000+, stock suspension is sh1t I went for Progressive 412's (great IMO) with Progressive front springs, CV Performance kit in the CV carb dealt with the erratic running, just need a fork brace and I am sorted. Hope you find one you like soon.

Coming soon:

2004 XL1200 R

Cylinder Head Work including:
1.900 intake 7MM 4.425 SG
1.615 Exhaust 7MM 4.651 SG

7MM Beehive Spring 600 Lift
Striker Performance 7MM Valve Spring Kit

HP 3563 30D76 3.563 30 Degree Piston with Reverse Dome, 76 CC Chamber

XL/ Buell 1250 kit, Black With Highlighted Fins
04/Buell XB Intake 10.676x.065x3/8 (-.050)
04/Buell XB Exhaust 10.730x.065x3/8 (-.050)

XL 560 lift Impact hammer Performance Cam Set

V & H Competition Series 2 into 1 Exhaust, 04-12 Xl models

Twin Tec Adjustable Ignition Module, 04-06 Sportster/Twin cam single 12 pin

1991 to Present Sportster (XL) - Energy One Extra Plate Clutch Kit
Know Thy Hog