The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Motor Stage
883 Sportster
Ironworks Magazine

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Well, ya know what they say (whoever they are)... Great minds...

Problem is that the same logic applies to IDIOTS too

I could help you pull that EFI off and throw it in the trash (or we could have a bon-fire) with it as the centerpiece?
Let's leave the idiot part out, unless it is getting late, when my brain goes down with the sun!

Nope, if I buy EFI, I will live with it. If it dies on the top of Mt. Charleston (roads above the 8,000 foot level on a 12,000 foot mountain), I can actually coast most of the way home, which is about 30 miles.
Old 14th June 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
Let's leave the idiot part out, unless it is getting late, when my brain goes down with the sun!

Nope, if I buy EFI, I will live with it. If it dies on the top of Mt. Charleston (roads above the 8,000 foot level on a 12,000 foot mountain), I can actually coast most of the way home, which is about 30 miles.
NO, say it isn't true... Where's the fun in that?

I bet you could find a trade for some carb heads if you looked hard enough too. Somebody out there must want to change to EFI from an earlier rubbermount, and you could get the nostalgia that you deserve.

Think about it, dynosaurs are extinct (except for birds), so if you had a T-Rex in your back yard you would be rich (or lunch for a T-Rex).

Soon there will be no carbs, and the only thing left for us will be to go sit on the local RR tracks.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 14th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

wedge, i wasn't aware of that way to tight the primary chain, with the engine running. will try this next time. thanks
in fact it is the first time i had an issue with my chain adjusment. it looks like if you are on the tighter side of the specs (1/2 to 3/8) when cold you can have this kind of bad surprise with a chain too tight when hot. unless it was already too tight when i tighten the nut,but i doubt of this, as i might have checked before reinstalling the trapdoor
1986 frame - 1997 1200 engine stage 1.5 - N2 cams- single fire Accel - Crane hi 4 - big sucker - 23 T sprocket 48 T - Ohlins #3#3 13 1/4 - showa 35 mm Progressive spring - all brake system by Performance Machine second motor 86 4 speed 883conver 10.5 1200 V8 cams 1200 heads - tuned CV cards by killer motorcycle product -
Old 14th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post

with your skills, you deserve a true harley, i mean a pan or shovelhead, or ironhead if you want a sportster.
EFI are more for people who doesn't want to spend time wrenching
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Soon there will be no carbs, and the only thing left for us will be to go sit on the local RR tracks.
I know...I know! My primary interest on the forum is electrical and carb issues.
If most folks took some reads with a voltmeter, there would be few electrical questions. So, without carbs to talk about...
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th June 2012
Whitworth Products

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
wedge, i wasn't aware of that way to tight the primary chain, with the engine running. will try this next time. thanks
in fact it is the first time i had an issue with my chain adjusment. it looks like if you are on the tighter side of the specs (1/2 to 3/8) when cold you can have this kind of bad surprise with a chain too tight when hot. unless it was already too tight when i tighten the nut,but i doubt of this, as i might have checked before reinstalling the trapdoor
I assume it will work on your year bike. You have the adjuster on the bottom of the primary case right?

Hold the adjuster screw with an allen wrench as you tighten the nut so that it doesn't move after you adjust it.
Old 14th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
I assume it will work on your year bike. You have the adjuster on the bottom of the primary case right?

Hold the adjuster screw with an allen wrench as you tighten the nut so that it doesn't move after you adjust it.
exactly, you have to hold with allen the adjuster bolt while you tighten the nut. that s what i have always did. the rule, better little bit looser, than tighter
Old 14th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
with your skills, you deserve a true harley, i mean a pan or shovelhead, or ironhead if you want a sportster.
EFI are more for people who doesn't want to spend time wrenching
There are two reasons for having a Sportster:
1. I do like to tinker.
2. I like to ride, but mostly in remote areas (read no cell service, etc.) I am not riding to show off whatever I am riding (Harleys are only 2 out of 12). That may be incongruous with an Ironhead! I even checked out a Honda yesterday (gasp!). The Shadow RS is a standard bike, albeit water cooled, fuel injected and only a 2.8 gallon tank. Yes, I have the "I want another bike right now urge" and my options were rapidly diminishing. I think it would be fun, but still a "shadow" of the Sportster...besides Boulder Powersports pulled sort of a bait and switch: "Yes, it is on sale for $6,499" (new, $1,800 off the sticker price), "but we need to add for the Power Commander, after market exhaust..."
Despite issues with H-D dealer service, in the past, at two different dealers (which have since had management changes), I have had very good treatment by sales and part departments at both dealerships. I am not getting a warm fuzzy from non-Harley dealerships in the Las Vegas valley.
Old 14th June 2012
Flat Track Champion

i understand
Old 15th June 2012
Whitworth Products

I'd like a knucklehead, that's what my 95 year old mom calls me anyway. I would go for a panhead, but I don't want to give the wife any ideas. I'll keep the 05 Roadster as long as I can keep it on the road, but at some point I think I will clean out the garage and sell off all the dirt bikes/parts, and the quad, and get something really old. Nothing newer than a shovelhead. I like side valves, but wouldn't want to suffer the potential HP loss associated with it. Whatever it is it will be an engine, hard tail frame, and only the bare minimum to make it street legal.

Oh, and about that primary adjustment. Mine was slightly on the loose side and it was a bitch to shift into neutral. Once I adjusted it like I just discribed it shifts nice. (Only about 1/2 turn on the screw to make the difference).
Know Thy Hog