The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
S&S Cycle
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
Foxcreek Leather

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
paulw666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tail light help

I purchased the road6customs model a tail light and license plate bracket. I got the license plate bracket on fine, but now I'm new at electrical things and I need some help, a lot of help haha

Here are some picture of my bike, I literally don't know where to start!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Road King Classic
wagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the rough

You need a manual.

I have done this before and started to type up a response....there is just WAY too much to type.

The fender, strut covers, turn signals, need disconected/removed. You need to splice the new taillight into the 'rear harness' that runs to the your stock taillight.

decide if you are bobbing the rear fender (most likely) and if you are running turn signals...etc....

Do you have a manual....? You can see how to disconnect all of the stuff and which wires to splice you new tail light into.

If you have a manual, I would be willing to talk to you on the phone about this. This evening.

I did this with a second fender, bobbed the end off where the tail light used to be. Cut the connector off that went to old taillight....spliced in the turn signals and new taillight. I also added a 'trailer connector' and switched the turn signals to red running/brake lights.
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
paulw666 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am actually not available this evening, but i do have an owners manual. This seems like it will be a lot of work!
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Road King Classic
wagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the rough

It's not 'too bad'. The biggest thing is....you are going to have that old tailights hole in the fender.

I highly recommend getting a second fender...or if you are o.k. with it....chopping your present one off at that point. Then just splice your new taillight into the rear harness.