The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
NRHS Performance Long 2
Lowbrow Customs
NRHS
Ironworks Magazine

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic 117 CI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
tdd3748 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1200 conversion advice wanted.

I will say Thanks in advance to all who reply.
I am converting the little woman's bike; 883 to 1200 and I am on a relatively tight budget. I have scored XB12 heads and cylindesr w/pistons for $280. The cylinders have less than 2500 miles and when checked with a bore gauge are spot on for roundness/taper and piston clearance. That being said I have the option of using stock pistons and just re-ringing - saving $250-350 depending on pistons I would purchase. The down side in this is that since stock pistons are cast I don't have the option to open up the valve pockets in the pistons and the stock valve pockets will limit cam selection (wanted SE-536's).
Hammer is going to do my heads - My question: Should I get the Impact (Stage I) porting and get new (stock bore) forged pistons so I can install SE-536's; or should I get the Smash (Stage II) porting and use the stock pistons and pick another cam?

If only I could hit the lotto the question would not be on the table.

Thanks Tom
Old 14th June 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know what the cost difference is, but since you are not going to get in that engine every weekend I would save a few duckets and do it the way you really want it to be.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 14th June 2012
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Have you spoken with Hammer regarding cam selection and piston selection ?

You Can't Fix STUPID !

"Don't Just Do It Right. Do It Just Right"

"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"- Bruce Dickerson

"Horsepower Never Lies-but it's often lied about"

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

http://i44.tinypic.com/9jj7t4.jpg

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic 117 CI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
tdd3748 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct Wedge I could wait till riding season was over and do it this fall - but truthfully I would like to have it done and broke in before our first long trip of the summer mid July.

Redd - yes I have been talking with Dan but until today when I got the cylinder specs was going down the new piston/bore path using SE-536's and just having the XB heads freshened up.