The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
DK Customs
Licks Holiday
Biltwell

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I have a tach on my power vision tuner. As you can see I've never raced much. And RPM's makes me nervous.
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

A Note on Shifting, You want to shift at a point where you will be back at the bottom of the torque curve, Too high and you Bog, Too Low and you'll Bog.. It takes practice...
My bike is still pulling like a train when it hits the rev limiter so unless I watch the tach I will hit the limiter everytime....
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 22nd June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 hugger/1125R
Sportster/Buell Year: 1/8
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 900 maybe...
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
SomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchap View Post
And RPM's makes me nervous.
don't fear the RPM's... they want to be your friend...

next time you are in a no-stress situation on your sporty, open it up a bit and let your sporty play in the +4K RPM's range... it will thank you for it...

actually if you had a solid mount evo, you would be able to see much easier/clearer just how happy those upper RPM's make it...
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Fairlane 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
SuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to all

Who needs a rev limiter anyway? Just one more un-needed thing to idiot-proof a Harley.
- Oversized pic of my ride & lengthy list of upgrades
Old 22nd June 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

I need a Rev limiter when I run my pump gas street sporty at the drag track.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd June 2012
Amateur Hour

madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

Hold your throttle wide open, don't let off, fan your clutch as fast ad possible. Do that to redline, or wherever your bike runs out of power.
Old 22nd June 2012
Drag Race Champion

SomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really niceSomewhatLost is just really nice

I need a rev limiter too... at least in first, if I don't crank the throttle open fast enough I will get to my 7K rev limit somewhere around 1/2 throttle... actually it is usually a bit of a race to see if I can get to WOT before I start bouncing off the rev limiter...
Old 22nd June 2012
Amateur Hour

I like to have it when I'm not at the track too. When the majority of time is spent over 5grand when riding, I hit it once in awhile
Old 22nd June 2012
Drag Race Champion

also, just a a general, but mostly useless FWIW type thing...
from about 1957 to about 2001 (or to 2003 if you don't count the vrod) (and definitely not counting Buells...)

the fastest stock HD in the 1/4 mile for any given year was usually (always?) a sporty... if my foggy memory serves, generally by a good bit... like a 1/2 second or so faster then the next fastest model (usually the lightest Dyna?)...

so, you shouldn't be too surprised if your sporty at least keeps up... sporty's are pretty fast for girl's bikes
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

nice going. That must have been fun to watch.
Sounds like his fist pumping was a triumph not for winning the race, but for being made only a little silly.
If he lost to a Sportster he would have looked real silly. He must have almost pooped himself at the site of you being in front of him.
I know I don't have what it takes to go 105.