The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Sportster Specialty
883 Sportster
DK Customs
Foxcreek Leather

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
mrjoatmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 883 to 1200 conversion ecu

I'm a noob here so please have mercy. I'm getting ready to do the conversion and can use any advice from anyone who has "been there, done that". Already checked with a couple of aftermarket products(efi tuners) that tell me their unit will not handle it alone and I will still need the ecu reflash due to the major increase in displacement. I've already done the pipes and intake (ness big sucker and roadhouse 2 into 1) and will be swapping the trans pulley to a 32 to get the 1200 gearing after the upgrade. HELP!
Old 12th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

Welcome to the Forum. This isn't really my thing, but there is lot of conversion threads under here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/f...play.php?f=224

Pick one of the newer bike threads and see what was needed.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 12th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

What tuner manufacturers have said their products won't work?

The TTS Mastertune and the PowerVision will both work. Both of these make a dealer reflash useless as these tuners (among others) actually reflash your ECM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Old 12th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum by the way, sorry I didn't notice that was your first post!

Any questions on your build you should be able to find the answers here.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
mrjoatmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Thanks for the info. I had contacted Terry components and ness about their products and was told neither had the tuning flexibility to do the job on their own. I talked to one of the service guys at East Orlando HD and found out the factory reflash would cost about 160 plus the labor to do the install. What kind of money are we talking for the products you mentioned are how can I contact them? Again thank you for your input.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

The products I am talking about are around 400 dollars. You will find A LOT of info on this forum about tuning with these products, especially the PowerVision.

The factory reflash is not that good, with one of these tuners you'll be able to reflash your own ECM as many times as you want. It sounds like something you wouldnt do, but believe it or not I have reflashed my own ECM at least 8 times just in July. Now I am working on perfecting a tune but still, I haven't had to give one dollar to a dealer.

Are you doing the 1200 conversion yourself or having your dealership do it? Screamin Eagle parts I am assuming?
Old 17th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

I have been very happy with the thundermax. Don't hear much about them but there are a lot of them out there. In my opinion that usually means they do their thing well. I've got 2000 miles on mine without any issues. runs very strong and cool with good gas milage. You won't get one for $400 though.
Old 17th July 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

The thundermax IMO is the best tuner you can use as it will auto tune for any combination which is realy nice if you plan to do different mods at different times. That way you do not have to constantly keep getting it re dynoed which can be very costly.

NRHS is a certified Thundermax dealer and I can have it pre-mapped for you for a much easier installation compared to just getting an "out of the box" thundermax like most shops will sell you. My price is also $40 under MSRP.

The Terry and other low prices tuners just do not have the abilities to do a proper job of tuning IMO.
www.nrhsperformance.com

AMA 1350cc M-PG record holder @167.452 mph.
faster than the BNI record too.
Old 17th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light1250IRON is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^^thats where mine came from^^^^^^^
Old 17th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

The Thundermax is a good unit if you just want to set it and forget it. I think its a little overpriced but thats my opinion.

I'll probably have people jump all over me here for saying this but it seems to me like the Thundermax isnt as advanced as the stock ECU. It may perform and make adjustments more efficiently and as stated you can "set it and forget it" but as a whole it is less advanced.

The Thundermax makes adjustments only based on throttle position and RPM - it negates the MAP sensor that the factory put there for a reason.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree.
Know Thy Hog