The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
Dead Creek Cycles
Motor Stage

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
marktm200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much Hp?

I have a 03 1200c and I was thinking about buying from nrhs the stock xb heads cams and use my old cylinders combo. How much horse power do you think this will make I will be running he stock carb with screaming eagle air filter and v&h long shots(for now anyways) and I have the dyna ignition Thanks
Old 16th July 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

70 to 80 HP
Old 16th July 2012
Amateur Hour

madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

With your pipes you have probably 75 range. Good luck
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Would I be better off having my heads ported or going with stock xb?
Old 16th July 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktm200 View Post
Would I be better off having my heads ported or going with stock xb?
Your stock heads have some problems that are difficult & not particularly cost effective for a head porter to fix. Read about them here and pay particular attention to the chambers and the pictures of the ports from the chamber side. So while we could make them capable of supporting a lot more power, a person has to question whether or not it's worthwhile to pour that much money into a casting that's got some inherent design limitations.

Honestly, we could make a much better set of heads out of a pair of 883 heads of any vintage. Read this thread, for example, to see what we're doing with 883 heads now; 100hp is certainly within range when HAMMER Dan prepares a set. You could pick up a pair of those fairly cheap.

But also think about cosmetics; your cylinders are black with highlighted fins, right? What will silver heads, i.e. most XB and 883 heads, look like over those cyls? Is that acceptable to you? Or you could go straight black from an 883R or later XB, and then try to highlight the fins manually.

The 2004-2006 XL1200 head is, from a performance point of view, equivalent to the XB head, and they're black with highlighted fins which would match your cyls. They're also harder to come by and more expensive.

Either the XB or late model XL1200 heads are available from HAMMER PERFORMANCE here.

If you end up porting your heads, keep in mind that the head work that you used to be able to get from either NRHS or HAMMER is now available only from HAMMER PERFORMANCE. Read here for more information about this CNC process which has been under development and refinement for almost a decade now, has had thousands of sets of XL heads run through it, and has put more XL's over 100hp than anyone else out there. Also keep in mind that NRHS has not yet updated their web site, so all the dyno sheets and head pictures they show reflect work that's now only available from HAMMER PERFORMANCE.

Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Thanks for the help I'm probably going to wait until the end of riddin season and give both hammer and nrhs a call
Old 16th July 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

The package you are proposing I too would say about 70-80 hp

Looking forward to trying to earn your business when you are ready
thanks
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I will be running he stock carb with screaming eagle air filter
Quote:
[Quote from ReddTigger] "Air cleaners are not created equal. Recently I tuned a bike with a Screaming Eagle air cleaner got a baseline and then switched to the NRHS Hurricane Air filter, and retuned. The only physical change was with the AIR FILTER and picked up 6hp and 7lbs ft tq." [This was on an 883!]
IMO closer to 70hp. Power is limited by the things that limit it. Every component counts!!!!

Pick a shop, supplier or "expert" and do what they tell you. BUT keep doing your research, like you're doing here.

I have a 2007 1200 with a Hurricane AC, Supertrapp 2:1 and a PCIII running a drop in map, a full Dyno tune would get me more power.

Here's my sheet:

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 17th July 2012
Amateur Hour

I pulled 82 hp and 76 tq on a solid mount with thunderstorm heads pistons and 497 cams if that helps. the bike had a good 2 into 1 pipe. the bike made 74 74 with 1 3/4 drag pipes. I also had the stock carb and a screamin chicken air filter
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

Thanks everyone, what would be considered a good 2 into 1 without breaking the bank?
Know Thy Hog