The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Biltwell
Progressive Suspension
RYCA Motors
S&S Cycle

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
wayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura aboutwayneo1 has a spectacular aura about
Default 93, 89 and maybe 87 octane?

Hi All,
My motorcycle is supposed to have high test, or 93 octane.
I put 89 in it and althought the note of the exhaust has changed- it still runs like a top.
I have heard that running 87 octane is a no go, any thoughts?
Thanks
Wayne
Old 16th July 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneo1 View Post
Hi All,
My motorcycle is supposed to have high test, or 93 octane.
I put 89 in it and althought the note of the exhaust has changed- it still runs like a top.
I have heard that running 87 octane is a no go, any thoughts?
Thanks
Wayne
2009 883L (Not sure) 87 octane is suggested in the service manual for 2006 883L

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Look in your Service Manual and go with what is recommended. If the engine is pinging then go to a higher octane. Otherwise, stay with what is recommended for your bike.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 16th July 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
cHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud of

Prior to 2007 (carb'd bikes) Harley recommended 87 octane for the 883 and 91+ octane for the 1200.
Starting with the EFI bikes in 07, Harley changed the recommended octane for all Sporties to 91+.

Since the compression ratio wasn't changed on the 883, it's quite likely that you can still run a lower octane, especially when the weather is cooler.
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Starting with the EFI bikes in 07, Harley changed the recommended octane for all Sporties to 91+.
I run 89 without any problems in my 2007.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

HD tech will only consider 91 octane or better. Eventhough you manual may state otherwise.
To me, its cheap insurance.. Plus I get better mpg with at least 91

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Reggler is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been running 93 oct, it's an extra 20-25cents per fill-up then 91 octane.
I've seen what happens when you don't run the right octane way too many times in cars that I wouldn't try anything less then 91 in a newer sporty.
Old 17th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggler View Post
I've been running 93 oct, it's an extra 20-25cents per fill-up then 91 octane.
I've seen what happens when you don't run the right octane way too many times in cars that I wouldn't try anything less then 91 in a newer sporty.
If you think higher octane is better gasoline then you really should do a little more research. Higher octane is not "better" gas, it is "different" gas. Higher Octance gas just requires more effort to ignite. That's why it is recommended for higher compression engines. It does not pre-ignite.

It is not "better" gasoline!
Old 17th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
polaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the rough

Precicely. And not only that, running fuel with an octane rating higher than the engine and more specifically the ignition was designed for can lead to carbon build up. Higher octane fuels burn more slowly, so if the rating is too high, combustion isn't as clean as it could be. I use 87 myself, and I only ping in really hot weather in heavy traffic if I lug the motor. I've considered mid grade, but the ping I experience is infrequent enough not to bother me.
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Reggler is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't say it was a better gas. I have seen 50-60 engines need valve jobs and even a few slugs replaced because people used 87 when it said to use 91+. Vw's, Ford's, Chevy's, Honda's. 4-8 cylinders. The pinging is worse for an engine then the little bit of carbon build up.
That's just my opinion based on what I have seen and cars that I have had to fix, so I won't risk it on my own motorcycle.
Know Thy Hog