The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
BIKE BUILDER
Progressive Suspension
Burly
Motor Stage

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
my 60r has r model p grinds.

hollow with the ball bearing shafts pressed in them.
Funny thing about those ... when they ran TT's on them, the fast guys found that every time they'd detune the engine they went quicker. If they made parade cams for a Sportster they'd have tried that. They probably could have gone quickest on a flathead

Did they ever run the XR at TT's or was the real Class C racing over by then ? I have vague memories of iron XLR's still running TT's even after the alloy engine came out but that couldn't have been for long ?
Old 16th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Hi Barefoot,

The AMA got rid of the TT 55ci class in the early 70s but I don't know the exact date...

Patrick
Old 16th July 2012

barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
The AMA got rid of the TT 55ci class in the early 70s but I don't know the exact date...
Finally found the rules ...

http://www.dairylandclassic.com/rules.html

Looks like 1972 would be the last year for the 883 ... Sounds right because I could swear I remember a photo of Mark Brelsford with the #1 plate at Houston on a Sportster.

They did run the alloy XR at TT's after that but seems like TT racing was losing popularity fast. That's too bad, you could always expect some Joe Schmo to come out of nowhere at a TT and embarrass the big name professionals
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Finally found the rules ...

http://www.dairylandclassic.com/rules.html

Looks like 1972 would be the last year for the 883 ... Sounds right because I could swear I remember a photo of Mark Brelsford with the #1 plate at Houston on a Sportster.

They did run the alloy XR at TT's after that but seems like TT racing was losing popularity fast. That's too bad, you could always expect some Joe Schmo to come out of nowhere at a TT and embarrass the big name professionals
yeah team Schmo. the heart and soul of dirt tracks everywhere.

the grin on a schmo riders face when he is walking thru the pits- trophy dangling from his good arm.

ah- there was noting better for the sport.
Old 17th July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '60
Other Motorcycle Model: xs650
Other Motorcycle Year: '72
sevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enough

you guys are the biggest sportster nerds ever .... I love it
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
you guys are the biggest sportster nerds ever .... I love it
i think that for most of us, our lives revolve around our bikes..... at least mine does..... i have no life outside of work and my bikes..... its all i can think about.... im obsessed..... i hope to be as big or a bigger sportster nerd than these guys when i grow up......
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
snow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to allsnow is a name known to all

As a Big Twin rider for 30 years, I finally got hip to the fact that SPORTSTERS effin' RULE! Nothing has so completely defined for me what it is to ride a Harley than my last year living with Animal Mother. Let's rewrite the old AMF motto: "Until you've ridden an Ironhead Sportster, you haven't ridden a Harley-Davidson."
Old 17th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
yeah team Schmo. the heart and soul of dirt tracks everywhere.

the grin on a schmo riders face when he is walking thru the pits- trophy dangling from his good arm.

ah- there was noting better for the sport.
You hit it right on the nose, Doc. When the AMA started kowtowing to the Factories and the Sponsors and Big Money !! and started having dreams of being featured on Robin Leach, they lost it. Motorcycle racing has never been as good since they sold out. Jerks.

I ran USAC and BCRA with some people for many years. Normal sensible guys who are good drivers ..... until network teevee showed up at Turkey Night one year. As soon as the cameras showed up all their brains fell right out their ass. What the hell happened to our country, that our heroes changed from tough independent people like Dick Mann to big sissy whiners like 98% of our "celebrities" are today ? Grovelling for money, it's pretty disgusting.
Old 17th July 2012

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
You hit it right on the nose, Doc. When the AMA started kowtowing to the Factories and the Sponsors and Big Money !! and started having dreams of being featured on Robin Leach, they lost it. Motorcycle racing has never been as good since they sold out. Jerks.

I ran USAC and BCRA with some people for many years. Normal sensible guys who are good drivers ..... until network teevee showed up at Turkey Night one year. As soon as the cameras showed up all their brains fell right out their ass. What the hell happened to our country, that our heroes changed from tough independent people like Dick Mann to big sissy whiners like 98% of our "celebrities" are today ? Grovelling for money, it's pretty disgusting.
the ama competition committee: manufacturers reps, top dealers, and top riders.

the schmo competion committee:
a ratty bike, a milk crate, 64 dodge van (snow tires on the front to keep the headshake down due to the shot kingpins) cranky ol lady sleepin in back, jake the dog sleepin on passenger seat. 5 empty packs of luckys on dash.
and all of that in shinin thru the brown speckeled grin.
it was a much more homespun backslappin time.
Old 17th July 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCory View Post
i think that for most of us, our lives revolve around our bikes.....
haha yeah, my wife hates all you guys (and gals)...! guess she's just jealous.