The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Dead Creek Cycles

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Seems like it might make a pretty decent starter bike.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

I think I would just get a used small displacement cruiser like a Honda Rebel, Suzuki GN250, even a GN650 single or maybe a Yamaha Virago and make a bobber out of that.

There was an old thread here that had a link to company that was making bobber kits for the Rebel, which is kind of funny because back in the mid 80's Honda remade the Rebel to look sorta like a Sportster and it sold.

I learned to ride motorcycles on a Honda CB185 the Rebel's ancestor.
Old 16th July 2012
Battleship Sailor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I learned on a CB1100. Talk about instilling respect for the machine from the get go.
Old 16th July 2012

Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

If you still got that bike, there is a group of collectors out there that pay top dollar, since they only made them one or two years, they were one of the top bikes until the VFR 1000 V4 came along.
Old 16th July 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I think I would just get a used small displacement cruiser like a Honda Rebel, Suzuki GN250, even a GN650 single or maybe a Yamaha Virago and make a bobber out of that.

There was an old thread here that had a link to company that was making bobber kits for the Rebel, which is kind of funny because back in the mid 80's Honda remade the Rebel to look sorta like a Sportster and it sold.

Honda at one time actually promoted the Rebel as a Harley starter something like buy the Rebel and learn to ride then go buy a Harley next summer

I think the brand is Hysong I believe, but I have heard they are better than the CCW, from what a few guys told me that they work great but the Hysong parts are hard to find and the few dealers only stock a few basic parts the rest have to be ordered, But thats just what they told me

Old 16th July 2012

I got a Hoysung dealer near, but don't see any of their bikes on the streets, they mostly have scooters, and "if" I want a scooter I would want a Honda or Yamaha if I couldn't afford a Vespa.

Here is a link to that company

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sturge is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an automatic diversion to cutesy spellings like "tha." "Z" substituted for "s," any use of the word "extreme," especially if spelled "Xtreme," or with extra x's, "4" used for "for" (unless it's Prince or a 13 year old girl), etc. That kind of thing makes me cringe from the get-go.

The bike looks cool, but like Loner said, I'd just as soon grab an old Rebel and bob it, have less cash invested, and be able to find parts for a long time to come.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
mjohnsns is an unknown quantity at this point

That bike is ugly.
Old 16th July 2012
Dont know nuthin

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki KZ650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Rog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant futureRog48 has a brilliant future

I like the air seat.........anyone ever try anything like that?
Old 16th July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati Monster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
roachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of light

I like it, light, simple and clean but I'd probably go with a Suzuki Savage and bob that. At 362 pounds it's already a light little platform, proven to be reliable and with a 650 single it will cruise at 70mph easily, It can even go uphill without slowing down. Also as others have said much easier to get parts now and into the future with a Jap bike.
Know Thy Hog