The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
S&S Cycle
NHRS Performance
Foxcreek Leather
Progressive Suspension

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
goirish64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cam thrust washers

Took the cam cover off of my 77 xlh 1000 today and noticed as i did that only one of the cams had a thrust washer on it. i looked at my clymer manual and it showed all of them having this washer. someone was in the motor before ( has s&s flywheels and connecting rods) and i was wondering if anyone would know why they wouldnt be there or if anyone has seen something like this before.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Shims or no shims is a contentious issue. The best advice I can offer is to educate yourself and then decide if you think you need/want them.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1003853
Old 15th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

No thrust washers, but there are cam gear plates [AKA dog bones, figure 8s] and cam shims. Presumably you mean the shims?
Old 15th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

Was it only the #2 cam w/ the points that was shimmed?
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

yeah iron mick it was the cam shims between the bushings and the actual cam. i dont know if its aftermarket camed or not, but i cant find any marking on the cams. and yeahchevelle its the rear cylinder intake cam, the one that drives the points
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

It could be that only the one cam needed to be shimmed. You can either toss all the shims or go thru the process and set them all up to between .015 and .020 [i think that is what we agreed on]. Most agree that the spec in the FSM should not be used.
Old 16th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

I set mine up right around .015 mark never herd an iron so quite,if you go tighter as the manual says it means check this every season...
Old 16th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to allchevelle is a name known to all

The #2 cam gets a seal, so it would be the most important to keep from walking I would assume.
Same goes for the ign rotor/advance unit bolted to that cam.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Probably gonna toss them mick the noise doesn't bother me but I wanted to make sure it wasn't overly critical. Thanks for the continued help!
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i'm,kind of surprised you went back with them at .015,timberjack.didn't you find alot of them in your oil pump,after disassembly?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Know Thy Hog