The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to all

battery positive terminal on the,battery ve,represent's,voltage.+,represent's,positive terminal on,battery. -,represent's,ground.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 21st July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

On your bike you can do it on the reg by touching a wire from Bat terimnal to Gen terminal
Old 21st July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlh59 View Post
ahhh -- but that would be only the case, if there is a consumer attached to the generator, right? And the field coils would ghave to be grounded as well .... or am I wrong?

The generator had nothing attached to it ... no light, no horn, no ignition, no regulator - nothing. Without a consumer and a regulator and open field coils the generator should not produce more than 5 or 6 volts and ther would be no current, right?

mikethebike - I am trying to understand, so please correct me if I am wrong.
Was it wired to a battery?
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Grind1203 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I found another broken wire. So that should fix it then I will polarize the genny. I got more problems though. My bike has stranded me due to that broken wire. It's now fixed, I got all my lights back on but now when I go to kick it it's like there is no compression. Seems ok when the bike is stone cold. I was on the way to the shop who did my top end rebuild. I have a leaky front rocker box oil line that started seeping after the first 500mi. I am about 1000 miles into my break in period. 50-55mph for the first 500 miles and 60-70mph for another 1,000 miles I have been varying the speed like the sheet says. Oh and my rear header was like half way off the spigot. I think I found my fart issues.
Old 22nd July 2012

ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

I would adjust my valves per video in red stickies for the cold hot tells me yours valves are to tight.loosen oil nut all the way out wiggle tube around a little reinstall nut making sure you don't cross threat it and tighten it back up.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

Cool, thanks ezmerf! The bike is at the shop. Stupid kid taking me and my bike back on the trailer managed to snap the kickstand off! luckily it was the stand and not the mount on the frame.
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

Cool, thanks ezmerf! The bike is at the shop. Stupid kid taking me and my bike back on the trailer managed to snap the kickstand off! luckily it was the stand and not the mount on the frame. I'll make sure the Indy knows to double check those pushrods. Sorry I know this is a voltage reg thread, I really appreciate the help. I'll make a new thread when something new comes up.
Old 22nd July 2012

You sure the kick stand broke?Most time it's the retaining pin has only worked it's way out.