The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
NHRS Performance
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather

Zippers Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
IMO there is nothing special about the Lucas product. Another is the SeaFoam product. Remember Bardhol from days gone by? I am sure there are many others. Probably all the same except for the advertising.

I run the Seafoam thru my engine once a year, as part of my winter project.
I remember Bardhol from when I was a kid , dad use to use Fuel T mix , I would fill the tank with gas for 4.50 at 30 cents USA a gallon put a can in my car and take a long drive on the interstate at 65 miles per an hour. that would clean out the carbon in the cylinders Nikki
Old 22nd July 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Carbon build up is caused by either too rich a mixture....which most likely is not the cause if your carb is right or by air stagnation. This allows the fuel to fall out of suspension and thus will not burn. My problem with any of that stuff is that it liquifies the carbon and I don't think that can be good for the engine. I like the tried and true method of high rpm for a few miles to blow out the carbon.
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

He is talking about the Lucas fuel treatment not oil IT WORKS.... I have tried it and use it in everything. took three tanks of gas in my tow rig to get 1000 miles 2 1/2 tanks with lucas to get to same destination.. stopped the knocking in the shovelhead, and works great in sporty. I have one older truck that used to have "run on" dieseling when you shut it off .... lucas fixed that. Engine light came on in passenger car (emissions) control. one tank of high test and Lucas, light went out never came back on.
Old 22nd July 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracbike View Post
He is talking about the Lucas fuel treatment not oil IT WORKS.... I have tried it and use it in everything. took three tanks of gas in my tow rig to get 1000 miles 2 1/2 tanks with lucas to get to same destination.. stopped the knocking in the shovelhead, and works great in sporty. I have one older truck that used to have "run on" dieseling when you shut it off .... lucas fixed that. Engine light came on in passenger car (emissions) control. one tank of high test and Lucas, light went out never came back on.
I know EXACTLY what he is referring to. I don't like ANY of that snake oil stuff. I've known far too many pro racers in my 63 years and if any of that stuff worked they would have used it. Most of that junk is not the but mineral oil mixed with something to mask what it really is. It seems to me that if you could achieve an 18.5% increase in fuel economy all the manufacturers would be requiring that you run it so they could meet CAFE without spending billions of dollars on R & D.
If YOU like it, by all means, spend YOUR money. I'll keep mine and spend it on good gas like CHEVRON with Techron. Which is, to my knowledge, the only additive tested by BMW to achieve 100,000 miles without carbon buildup on the valves enough to require an octane increase.
If you run a quality fuel and your engine is in tune a couple of high rpm runs every now and then would suffice.
Old 22nd July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracbike View Post
Yes, I meant their fuel treatment, or other comparable products. tracbike, you've been using it consistently for a while on your ironhead or shovel with no ill effects?

Mick, the seafoam is also a product you mix in with your fuel and run through her?
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh ironhead
jc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nice

I started using seafoam a year ago on my wires 172k Honda accord. Honestly, I thought it had regained the power it did when we first bought it. Smoked liked the dickens for a mile or so, though. Since then I have used it on everything I own with no adverse effects. Even got a barn find 2 stroke ezgo golf cart in here last week and used it on that. Some that know far more than I don't like it, some use water etc. Find something and try it. I think routine is far more important then what.
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

Mike the bike, i have used the cheveron, to each .... but don't knock it till you try it.... as far as maufaturers requirements look into why Volkwagon can not sell a diesel engine made in the US to us citizens, that get 65.2 MPG plus miles to gallon but it is shipped to the UK where the EPA does not exist. You are way off base..... do your homework, Munufacturers in the US are told what they can and can not do by your friendly federal gov. So should i run down and buy TECHRON IN THE BOTTLE? isn't it the same as using another brand? Just give your opinion on what you use. and what it does for you.

Old 22nd July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsap View Post
... Mick, the seafoam is also a product you mix in with your fuel and run through her?
The SeaFoam now comes in a new can with a new label and new instructions, but it is the same stuff. I follow the old instructions.

The can has about 16 oz. The old instructions recommend putting 1/3 in the oil tank, 1/3 in the gas tank, and spraying the rest directly into the carb while keeping the RPM up around 2000 so it does not stall.

I think they changed the instructions because no one has a carb any more.

First time i did it in front of my house, forgetting to check the wind direction. Well, my retired next door neighbors were having tea on their front porch. Uuhhmmm, they went inside. Now i find a quite road out of the city away from houses etc.

I have an opinion that i will add in here ...

In my experience it is impossible to tune up an IronHead engine with an original Keihin butterfly carb so well that you do not get carbon buildup.

The carb is just not good enough. You have the pilot screw for idle, the main jet for WOT, and the slow jet for the whole range from idle to WOT. [Well, of course there is some overlap but not enough].

So it is essential to use a product like this on some sort of a regular basis. I have been doing this once a year but i am thinking of doing it 2 or 3 times. I do put on 12000 to 15000 miles per year.

Now maybe with a CV you can do much better. And get much better gas mileage too.

JMO.
Old 22nd July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enoughantsap will become famous soon enough

I picked up a can of sea foam this morning and will give it a shot.

Looking forward to blowing some black stuff out of the pipes!

Mick, you also use it in your oil tank? I saw that on the can, but I probably wont try it unless others bless it for our old bikes.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of the carbon buildup is the result of unburned fuel deposits due to the inefficient combustion chamber design.

Dual plugging will help some, combined with thin head gaskets and possibly no base gaskets to get the piston all the way to the top of the cylinder. *Do check all clearances if you try this.* There will still be some dead area unless you match the piston perimeter to the head for some skwish area (al la Thunder Heads).

Oh, Lucas and Seafoam I group in the snake oil category along with Rislone, Slick50, Octane boosters, and other "tune_up_in_a_can" crap.