The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
DK Customs
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Question Just one question:

I'm exhuming this thread to ask one question:

How much of these DCW solo bags is real leather?
I see some of that corrugated plastic stiffener inside, and those 3 leather straps, so I'm wondering if the exterior of the bag is leather or vinyl.

Is anybody still out there?

Wiseco K1655s; Joker Machine AC; SE 'SP' muffs w/ Cycle Shack baffles; OEM SHOCKS on Tamarack -1" blocks; Metz 880s (110x19; 160x15) on laced wheels; Progressive fork springs; 4.5 gal tank; ReddTigger Mod Gauge Mount System...

See thread http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1102057 for a "pictorial history".
Old 22nd July 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lad View Post
I'm exhuming this thread to ask one question:

How much of these DCW solo bags is real leather?
I see some of that corrugated plastic stiffener inside, and those 3 leather straps, so I'm wondering if the exterior of the bag is leather or vinyl.

Is anybody still out there?

Everything is leather except the back. The collage photo in the listing may make this a little clearer : SOLO BAG

Ozark
Old 22nd July 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 96'
Bett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really nice

Hold the phone! This may be what I've been lookin' for!

Any body got a photo of one of these on a frame mount EVO?

What do you think Don? do they mount/work/look as good on frame mounts as they appear to on rubber mounts ?
Old 22nd July 2012

ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bett View Post
Hold the phone! This may be what I've been lookin' for!

Any body got a photo of one of these on a frame mount EVO?

What do you think Don? do they mount/work/look as good on frame mounts as they appear to on rubber mounts ?
Hi,

I don't anticipate any difference. The two bikes aren't very different. These are designed to mount in a variety of positions. You can also relocate the straps if you want without weakening the bags.

FWIW: if you don't like them send them back unused for a full refund.

Thanks Ozark (Don)
Old 22nd July 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 96'
Bett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really niceBett is just really nice

The Lick's bags for the two look so different is why I asked. And the battery on the earlier bikes sticks out quite a bit. But with a return policy like that, and your reputation on this site I'd say I'm going to give it a chance after I save a little more scratch.

Thanks for the quick reply. Roger
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd August 2012
Knows a thing or two

Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Post Total zip-ties...

Hey, my Solo Bag arrived yesterday, and I got it installed today.
It's a good bag, but I gotta tell you--this ain't a simple installation for the inexperienced XL do-it-yourselfer. I messed around with it all afternoon until I finally gave up on the supplied straps altogether. Try as I might, I couldn't get the top of the bag to stop wobbling. It seems like that top strap is slotted onto the back of the bag too low. I can't see why it's not mounted closer to the top of the bag instead of in the middle.
I ended up drilling six 1/4" holes at strategic locations and using the heaviest zip-ties I could find.
I put one at the lower rear point to the swing arm behind the caliper, two thru the "front" slots to the swing arm, and another two thru holes drilled near the top which went around the frame below the battery cover.

Now it doesn't wobble anymore. IDK what happens on the road when the swing arm starts working up and down.
Road testing tomorrow...

I'm thinking of fabbing some backing plates to put under the zip-ties so they don't dig in to the back of the bag. That'll mean re-doing it all again.
Old 4th August 2012
Knows a thing or two

Arrow pics of the Mk II bag

This is the latest version, the 'Mk II' It has a few new features, e.g. a 'rain flap' that is attached inside, and snaps on at the front; a small pocket to keep often-used items close to hand instead of migrating to the very bottom of the bag; a different, stiffer back, and other features better discribed and pictured on Don's website. And here are my pics. The top has a bit of a wrinkle in it cos it has to stretch over the rainflap, and a gusset has been incorporated into the rear of the lid (which is a tight fit). I've buckled it down tight in hopes that it will stretch to size and become a perfect fit. The wrinkly top was as it came out of the box--it's not due to over-tightening.
50 mile road test today, half freeway, half twisties, and so far it's still not wobbly, nor has it busted loose from the action of the swing arm.

Admittedly, this is not the easiest location to mount a bag (or much of anything else) and IDK how the mounting system could be improved. But it should be... a simple, cost-effective, foolproof system that really works would be golden.
This is the best I could do with the installation last night:

Old 4th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lad View Post
This is the latest version, the 'Mk II' It has a few new features, e.g. a 'rain flap' that is attached inside, and snaps on at the front; a small pocket to keep often-used items close to hand instead of migrating to the very bottom of the bag; a different, stiffer back, and other features better discribed and pictured on Don's website. And here are my pics. The top has a bit of a wrinkle in it cos it has to stretch over the rainflap, and a gusset has been incorporated into the rear of the lid (which is a tight fit). I've buckled it down tight in hopes that it will stretch to size and become a perfect fit. The wrinkly top was as it came out of the box--it's not due to over-tightening.
50 mile road test today, half freeway, half twisties, and so far it's still not wobbly, nor has it busted loose from the action of the swing arm.

Admittedly, this is not the easiest location to mount a bag (or much of anything else) and IDK how the mounting system could be improved. But it should be... a simple, cost-effective, foolproof system that really works would be golden.
This is the best I could do with the installation last night:

Thanks for sharing your observations. Real world feed back from riders like yourself is invaluable for improving the design of our products.

The attachment system for these bags seems to be a never ending quest. The straps are located to allow the bags to be located in a variety of locations while still allowing for a solid installation. The three heavy duty straps add a significant cost to the product. On the plus side I know the bag will be held securely in place and removable. On the minus side they are tough to feed through tight places.

I considered supplying heavy duty zip ties with the bags. I decided not to because I don't have confidence that they will hold up over the long term. Having said that, if you are going to use zip ties I recommenced the really strong 3/8" wide ties from building supply stores. I carry some Store House brand Item number 66487 ties in my tool bag for emergency's. These are sold under a variety of brand names.

All my best,

Ozark
Old 8th April 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
WMUPilot is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to the website but cannot find the bag listed has it been discontinued? I'd take a used one if I can find it!
Old 8th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUPilot View Post
I've been to the website but cannot find the bag listed has it been discontinued? I'd take a used one if I can find it!
Hi,

We don't carry them at present.

FWIW if we can get 75 buyers I can import some cheap Solos. Check out the group buy section if you are interested.

Ozark