The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Biltwell
Dead Creek Cycles

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
jamieg101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I gots no spark

I had my 81 parked for about 3 weeks, when i finally got it out again it started right up, ran for about 30 seconds and then it stopped. I have checked all the wires (that a PO has really done a job on) and theres no shorts anywhere, starter engages motor and i have compression. I pulled the plugs and set them against the head to ground them and when i hit the start button the front plug had no spark and, the rear had very little so Im figuring my coil is bad. Is there anything else that you guys think i should check before i buy a new one? Thanks.
Jamie
Old 20th July 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

First i would do the resistance tests on the coil. Is it the original electronic ignition and matching coil? or have those been replaced with points or other ignition?
Old 21st July 2012
Biker

Its the original electric, no points. As for the coil im not sure if its original or not. Ill post a pic so you can see.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

And check the resistance of the plug wires....

Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieg101 View Post
that is the stock coil . make sure that the wires to the coil are tight , no lose conections . Nikki
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Is there a way to check without an ohm meter? I have a multimeter but either i dont know what im doin or it doesnt read the way the book(shop manual) says. It doesnt have an Rx1 or a Rx1000 setting.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

also, the shop manual says I should have a "Solid State Control Module" next to the battery thats part of the ignition system but, I have yet to find one. As I said before a PO stripped down alot of the wiring/bike. Theres no handlebar switches, turn signals etc... any ideas on where the control module could have been relocated to? Ive looked the whole bike over and havent found it yet.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
84Iron is an unknown quantity at this point

My 84 did the same thing with the Crane Hi-4 ignition that came with it. No spark to the rear cylinder and weak spark up front. I ditched it for points and presto. Fired on both cylinders. Not to mention its super cheap to find the mechanical advances/points ignitions. Assuming your problem is the ignition.....Id go points. My 2 cents
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieg101 View Post
also, the shop manual says I should have a "Solid State Control Module" next to the battery thats part of the ignition system but, I have yet to find one. As I said before a PO stripped down alot of the wiring/bike. Theres no handlebar switches, turn signals etc... any ideas on where the control module could have been relocated to? Ive looked the whole bike over and havent found it yet.
I would follow the wires coming out the nose cone ( the cover for the senor is located is riveted on , that is the nose cone ) they come out of the back , they should run back toward the battery to the control module , I would carefully drill out the blind rivets and see that is behind the cover. please send us photos as we can help better if we can see .Nikki
Know Thy Hog