The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
Don's Cyclewear

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883/1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
markncarj1 is on a distinguished roadmarkncarj1 is on a distinguished road

LOL, lots of poop here on the roads too. do you know if the angle of the intake manifold has to be set or is there only one way to put it on. I guess an easy way to find out is to take the carb off and loosen the manifold bolts and bolt the cab up and snug the manifold up and then take carb back off and tighten.
Old 19th July 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S-awesome
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markncarj1 View Post
LOL, lots of poop here on the roads too. do you know if the angle of the intake manifold has to be set or is there only one way to put it on. I guess an easy way to find out is to take the carb off and loosen the manifold bolts and bolt the cab up and snug the manifold up and then take carb back off and tighten.
Never had to take one off, but I would suspect only one way to the heads.
Your plan sounds good.
Old 19th July 2012
Know It All

Ill let you know how it works out for sure.
Old 19th July 2012
Know It All

so i went home sick and took a pain pill. My bike was in pieces so i started checking stuff out and re assembling it. I had my son tear it down yesterday while i was at the dr. i took the carb off and checked the intake. seems only one way to put it on, i sprayed carb spray all around it and checked for seaps and none, seems sealed. The gasket for the carb is tight so no leaks there. i decided to make sure the throttle cables were routed correctly too and i set the float level as well it was off a little it eas at .55 instead of .45 so i set it correctly. put it all back together and took it around the block and it started raining so not much of a test today. better throttle but seemed sluggish but it wasnt warmed up and absolutly no carb farts at all. may be rich now. so i backed off the slow jet to 2.5 turns. I am very optimistic this will work. will keep you updated
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

well went for a ride to tahoe and at elevation the mid range got better. i think i have been running my bike lean!! sucks cause i may have damaged a valve. how do i richen up the mid????
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2012

sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markncarj1 View Post
well went for a ride to tahoe and at elevation the mid range got better. i think i have been running my bike lean!! sucks cause i may have damaged a valve. how do i richen up the mid????
The transition to mid range is affected by the pilot and mixture screw.
Mid range is the needle. The N65C is a bit richer that your NOKK. If you shim your NOKK, then don't shim it too much.

However, before you fully dismiss a vacuum leak, take one more look at the line to the VOES, etc.
Old 22nd July 2012

See also this new post

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...3&goto=newpost
Old 22nd July 2012

Without going back through this "diary", how sure are your that the carb diaphragm does not have a pin hole leak? If not torn, just a pin hole, it could lift almost full range, but not hold the intended position while cruising at mid-range. This may have started with a low float level, but other problems may have been present or developed during this saga.
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

The voes line is.brand new. I should probably get a new slide. It is old. I know a few people running.g a Nokk needle unshimed and their mid range is fine and the run stage 2.
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

I just put a brand new set of plugs in today and am going for a long ride so I will pull them when I get back
Know Thy Hog