The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Superbrace
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappnman View Post
Harley guys, want Harleys-

the V Rod was too much of a yuppie fake Harley-

and speaking of myself, I don't like being bent over into a frog like shape to ride a bike..... those that WANT that style, did indeed go eleswhere.
Right, if I wanted to ride a drag bike I'd buy Pete Hills top-fuel knuckle.
Old 31st July 2012
Poser Extraordinaire

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R Stage 0.5
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cushman Lowrider
Other Motorcycle Model: Briggs & Stratton Chopper
Sleeper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrashster View Post
Not to get too involved here, but it's like comparing a 1969 Camaro to a 2012 Camaro. The '12 does most everything better, but everyone knows which car would get chosen if offered to the average person.

Why have a Camaro (Iron Head) at all, when you can have a Corvette (Evo).

You can't package charisma, an esoteric attribute that is either there or not, and the evo never struck me as having any. Not a bad bike.....just dull.
Obviously you've never ridden a ridged mount Evo before, they do have character.
If I had the extra time and money I'd consider building a hard tail Iron Head.
But for now I'll just have to spend what little extra time I have riding my Evo without a care in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61 View Post
Yeah, it does not have that pussy-assed electric starter all you EVO guys cannot do without.
When you Iron Head guys aren't around we Evo guys push start our bikes to start them, how's that for cool.
Old 31st July 2012
Master Bike Builder

mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Obviously you've never ridden a ridged mount Evo before, they do have character.
If I had the extra time and money I'd consider building a hard tail Iron Head.
But for now I'll just have to spend what little extra time I have riding my Evo without a care in the world.

When you Iron Head guys aren't around we Evo guys push start our bikes to start them, how's that for cool.
That's pretty good. Self depreciating humor is some of the best!

A few years back at Hooter's bike night as I was going through the routine of starting the CH some chromosexual kid with a B-T EVO just couldn't keep his mouth shut. The exchange went something like this:

"Hey, dude, why don't you just use the electric starter? You jus trying to show off or sumthin."

"Electric starter? The guy I bought this from didn't say anything about an electric starter."

He struts over with a world class attitude, and as he is pressing the 'starter' button...you know, the dummy one, he says:

"Duuuuuude,the damn button is RIGHT HERE!"

Of course the bike does nothing as he pushes it. Then:

"Duuuuuuude ,no wonder he didn't say nuthin, the damn thing's broke!"

"Uh, son, just how old are you?'

"24, why?"

"Duuuuuuuuude, in March 1977 when I bought this bike new, about 6 years before you were born it didn't HAVE any pussyfied electric starter because when I was YOUR age only real men rode Harley's and we don't NEED a girly-girl bike with push button start."

The girls were laughing. At him and with me.
Old 31st July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light

I'm so confused....

Is it ok to like both of them? Or is that against the rules?
Is my 1983 IRONHEAD still an IRONHEAD even though it has a "pussy assed electric starter"?
If people dont buy ugly bikes why do they sell BMW's?
and finally..........
WHY DO GUYS WITH TIN COVER BIKES NOT PUT A KEY IN THEM TO START OR KILL THEM?????? IF NOBODY BLOODY WELL ANSWERS THIS i WONT SLEEP TONIGHT!
Old 31st July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83IRONXLX View Post
I'm so confused....

Is my 1983 IRONHEAD still an IRONHEAD even though it has a "pussy assed electric starter"?
If people dont buy ugly bikes why do they sell BMW's?
and finally..........
WHY DO GUYS WITH TIN COVER BIKES NOT PUT A KEY IN THEM TO START OR KILL THEM?????? IF NOBODY BLOODY WELL ANSWERS THIS i WONT SLEEP TONIGHT!
Yes, you can like both of them.

Yes, your 83 is still an iron head.

I said Harley buyers want a good looking bike. BMW riders will buy what works regardless of how it looks....just look at the GS...best selling BMW in the world. Butt-assed ugly, but form follows function when you want to go off road and run the slab at 100+ and be able to smoke a mountain road all with only one bike. Same with the Ducati Multistrada...483 lb wet and 150 HP, off road capable, 150 mph top end, carve canyons as well as any full-on pseudo race bike. Butt ugly.
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st July 2012
Flat Track Racer

83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light83IRONXLX is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Number4

Thanks Mike. but number 4 buddy........... what about number 4?
How am i gonna sleep tonight?
People cant just throw something like that out there and then not answer it, leave us hanging like that, what kinda person would do that...its just not right. It's heartless.
Old 31st July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm so confused....

It's ok to be bi, guy. Perfectly acceptable these days.
Old 31st July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
It's ok to be bi, guy. Perfectly acceptable these days.
HaHa, well played, Hopper!
Old 31st July 2012
Master Bike Builder

Quote:
Thanks Mike. but number 4 buddy........... what about number 4?
How am i gonna sleep tonight?
People cant just throw something like that out there and then not answer it, leave us hanging like that, what kinda person would do that...its just not right. It's heartless.
Well, I have not ridden a mag bike since 1968 but I don't remember it having an 'ignition' switch.
Old 31st July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 93
sweeper is an unknown quantity at this point

In the 50's there was a magazine called LIFE. If it lived it was fit for print. An informative, inspiring celebration of LIFE. In the 60's there was a mag called PEOPLE, still living things but no animals or bugs etc.. just People. In the 70's there was a magazine called US. Still alive, still people, but just YOU & ME!(not them!) In the 80's was a magazine called SELF!! So lemme see Motorcycle forum......Harley forum......sportster forum....ironhead forum...... ironhead without girlie electric start forum... Anybody see a parrallel (sp?) Oh... I've had irons & evos.....like my guitars... love em all for different reasons
Know Thy Hog