The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2012
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Railroad Museum of PA

Today I was looking for something to do and decided I would take a ride to Strasburg PA, home of the Railroad Museum of PA and the Strasburg Railroad. All I can sawy is wow, what a cool place. I would not call myself a train fanatic by any means, but I do appreciate all kinds of old stuff and most things mechanical. This place was packed full of trains.

Once in the door they have a small model RR layout

From there you go into the main exhibit hall. Here are some of the trains there:

This was cool. Its a John Stevens Steam Carriage from 1825

This one was from 1825

This is a fireless locomotive used by Pennsylvania Power and Light at their power plant. Rather than having a firebox and making their own steam, they would fill the boiler with steam from the power plant and that could power the locomotive for hours.

Several old cars

Replica of 1831 John Bull locomotive. This was built in 1939. The original is in the Smithsonian and is the oldest operating steam engine in the world.

Railroad car that goes with it

This one you could walk down steps and go under it

Bottom view

MMU Electic train.

Inside view

Snow plow

Small steam engine used in Hawaii to harvest sugar cane. This had a 3ft guage and they would move the tracks to where they were needed.

This was cool. Obviously steam engines need water to make steam. Rather than stop to fill up, some engines had a scoop in the bottom that could scoop water up from a trough like this laying between the rails.

GG1 Electric Locomotive

FP7 Diesel

Mock-up of the inside

View from the gallery above

They also had some exhibit space that I made a quick pass through. They had a bunch of old paintings. This caught my eye

One of the old boardroom chairs from the Pennsylvania RR

Outside they had some stuff waiting for restoration and a place to be displayed.

Some old cars

An old switcher

Turntable

Crane

Some more steam stuff

Another GG1

Another old train car

Across the street is the Strasburg RR. They are now an excursion RR and operate a steam locomotive

Their station

Some of their cars

Switch tower

Maintenance shed. They give tours but I was out of time

Some more stuff outside

Small engine they give kids rides with, complete with its own turntable

Their engine coming in

Another view of their engine

And a short video of the engine

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 5th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool stuff. Used to go with my grandmother to the railroad yards to pick up my grandfather when I was little. Always loved it.

Thanks for the memories.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 5th August 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post

This was cool. Obviously steam engines need water to make steam. Rather than stop to fill up, some engines had a scoop in the bottom that could scoop water up from a trough like this laying between the rails.

Ralphthe3rd showed me the remains of one of the cisterns that was used to fill those for the high speed rewatering last time we went road-killing in central PA.

Last edited by Brad; 5th August 2012 at 03:30..
Old 5th August 2012

ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ralphthe3rd showed me the remains of one of the cisterns that was used to fill those for the high speed rewatering last time we went road-killing in central PA.
That piece was from the Wilmore installation west of Horsehoe Curve. Most were 1500 to 2000 feet long, this one was they worlds longest at 2685 ft. They had some pictures of what it looked like when they filled up and it looked cool.
Old 5th August 2012
Rubber Mount Jockey

Sportster/Buell Model: Dearly Departed XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
JohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant future

Thanks for the pictorial tour! Definitely a place I want to visit some day. PA has a rich rail heritage for sure. FYI Henry Ford Museum in Deerborn MI has a very nice collection of rail history also.

Know Thy Hog

Old 5th August 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250
Sportster/Buell Year: '02
Phillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant future

Very cool, thanks
Old 5th August 2012
Poser Extraordinaire

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R Stage 0.5
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cushman Lowrider
Other Motorcycle Model: Briggs & Stratton Chopper
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's impressive!

The Railroad Museum of Florida is a short ride from my house. They have something like two engines and four cars.
Old 5th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Wow, that's impressive!

The Railroad Museum of Florida is a short ride from my house. They have something like two engines and four cars.
Fortunately the Pennsylvania RR had the foresight to start preserving some of their engines and they make up the majority of the collection.
Old 5th August 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like a great day you had. I luv trains.
Old 5th August 2012
Rubber Mount Jockey

Sportster/Buell Model: Dearly Departed XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL Low Rider
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
JohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant futureJohnK has a brilliant future

Any Shays or Heislers on display there? I particularly like the Heislers as they are V-Twins!
Know Thy Hog