The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
Get Lowered
Get Lowered
Zippers Performance
Motor Stage

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: IH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Can't Wait 2 Ride is on a distinguished roadCan't Wait 2 Ride is on a distinguished road
Default Quick Question - RT / LT Side Shift

I know I could find the answer if I dug around but I've got a bet going. I was just asked which year the Sportsters went from right side shift to left. Specifically, what would you expect on a 1973 IH ? Thanks.
Old 20th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
heavy.clutch is on a distinguished roadheavy.clutch is on a distinguished road

74 would have been the last year for right shift as 75 and 76 had cross shaft,73 would be right shift.
Old 20th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

+1

Discussion/details: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1354196
Old 20th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

yep in hd tradition, never throw away anything. the cross shaft was a bad mistake but they had to get rid of un-used parts. i like the right shift especially in scramble. the shift was for the most part up and accessable so shifting was a snap in the curves unlike when the shift is just above ground level so you had better have the thing downshifted before hand. of course, depends upon the track, ours was counter-clockwise and turning to the left with only one right curve. i still love my 74 right shift but now, with the lefty sport, i got to watch what i am doing when i change machines.
Old 20th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: IH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Can't Wait 2 Ride is on a distinguished roadCan't Wait 2 Ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
Thanks for that link - lots of good information there.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Mopar1fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a step by step and or a list of parts needed to make my 76 LH shift into a RH shift using parts from 74. Does anyone know of a company that sells such a conversion.
Old 8th August 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

I think you would have to fit the earlier cam gearcase cover with the bushing in it for the RH shift shaft to pass through, and open up the tranny and fit the earlier shifter shaft that is long enough to stick out thruogh the gearcase and cover.
More dicking around than it is worth really.

In the tech stickies index in red near the top of the forum is an article on how to make the left foot shift linkage work much better than stock, might be easier.
Old 8th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
More dicking around than it is worth really.
Yeah, but while he's in there he could replace that wet clutch thing with the good dry clutch
Old 8th August 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

come to the right side, my son! you'll never regret it...
Old 8th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the roughmrmom9r is a jewel in the rough

They don't call it the "right" side for nothing....
Know Thy Hog