The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
BIKE BUILDER
Licks Holiday
DK Customs
Biltwell

NRHS Performance Long 2
Tags
engine noise

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 82 xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
mandaltby is on a distinguished roadmandaltby is on a distinguished roadmandaltby is on a distinguished road

I just watched the you tube tappet adjusting video, and think that is something I can do.
What about setting the timing, I have electronic ignition, how would I go about that, or is it better to have a shop do that.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.maltby/BackFromRebuild#5388709149769213666
82 xls Roadster/Andrews PB+ Cams/S&S Super E / drag pipes/ 2"baffles/exhaust wrap
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free!
Old 25th June 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaltby View Post
I just watched the you tube tappet adjusting video, and think that is something I can do.
What about setting the timing, I have electronic ignition, how would I go about that, or is it better to have a shop do that.
It is best to do both of these yourself.

Go to the top of this forum, the red threads just after the announcements. Find this one:
Sticky: Ironhead Technical Stickys Index - TuneUps, ReBuilds, Etc, Etc, Etc

In there you will find just about everything that you need on pushrod adjustment, ignition timing, and much much more.
Old 25th June 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

Take a wooden stick and move it around the engine at different R.P.M.'s with your ear against the other end.

normally the rod or wrist pin will be a double knock. and gets louder as the rev's go up.

sweep your oil tank with a magnet and cut your filer apart. look for metal. that's if it sounds like major problems.
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Old 26th June 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 82 xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
mandaltby is on a distinguished roadmandaltby is on a distinguished roadmandaltby is on a distinguished road

I did cut the filter appart and looked inside. I saw between the the carboard some metal. Not a whole lot, but there were some fine shavings and metal dust. You kind of had to look real close but I could see some metal. Is that normal
?
Old 8th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1976 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
Richprint is an unknown quantity at this point

Was riding last night , and made a left turn and it was like someone threw a switch. Bang, then a vavle tap sort of sound. Never had any sounds like this befor efrom this motor.( 1976 Ironhead ). Now I have a constant valve tap type of noise. Any ideas?. I'm running 20 w 50 Valvoline 4 stoke V twin motorcycle oil. I change every season, including the filter. Oil level was fine when I set out on my ride last night. Even with the noise the bike still runs great. But i need to fix this.. Any help would be great
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th August 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH- old school chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1981 XL
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton HighRider
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
trappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to alltrappnman is a name known to all

Chris B- what octane booster are you using?

The type sold at auto stores, states that a can added to 18-20 gals of gas, raises the octane level 1-2 points.

so 1-2 capfuls in 3-5 gals of gas, does very little insofar as rasing octane levels to any meaningful point.

Do you have a brand that rasies octane levels higher than that? If so, I'd like ot try it.
Old 9th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richprint View Post
Was riding last night , and made a left turn and it was like someone threw a switch. Bang, then a vavle tap sort of sound ...
I would adjust the pushrods ...

Ironhead Push Rod Adjustment
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=44143
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of

The whole bike vibrates, my wires vibrate against stuff and make tapping sounds... . it doesn't stop making sounds until I turn it off. I love it :F
Old 14th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
ctg332 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine noise

I recently experienced similar problem- Drove me nuts- Ended up being a bad valve guide-You would not believe how wore that guide was- Dont know why only one but it ran beautifully so it was by accident I found it . Put new guide in first- it ran quiet then did all - Good luck