The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Licks Holiday
Biltwell
CV Performance
Ironworks Magazine

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I sent a message to PBI.
This should be entertaining ...
Old 8th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
I sent a message to PBI. I'll post any response here. Response should be within 24 to 48 hours.

Here is my PBI 49 tooth rear sprocket after only 12,026 miles, in less than one year, on my 1978 Harley Davidson Sportster - PBI part number 2078. I bought this direct from you last year in August. This is with the sprocket installed on an NOS OEM brake drum, and a new chain kept well adjusted. This is most disappointing ...

I am the moderator of the IronHead forum on XLForum.net. I posted this result there and the feed back is not very good. Here are three examples ...

1. 7075 sprockets are at least as good as steel, if not better. 6061 won't last a month and 2024 isn't any better ... The sprockets in those photos are not 7075, guaranteed ... Most of this stuff is now made in China. There is no control over anything.

2. 7075 holds up extremely well. But Mick's was not made of 7075. This is exactly what happens in China all the time. The "supplier" decides to change materials. He doesn't inform anyone. Unless the buyer actually does incoming q/c and keeps track of this stuff ... the quality goes to hell.

3. I wondered about my PBI gearbox sprocket because of the rough finish on the boss where the seal runs that needed smoothing down before use.

So, this was supposed to be 7075. What happened? Was it really Made in the USA?

Rather than source another 49T rear sprocket i intend to install a 23T transmission sprocket and keep my original 51T rear - which is still in very good condition. I was going to buy a PBI sprocket. Now i am wondering if i should take a chance on PBI again?
well done mick.

even going past the material we knew there was sumtin wrong with the pitch diameters too.

now if those two things were wrong
how confidant you felling about any of these:
Old 11th August 2012
Land Speed Record

barefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nice

Quote:
I sent a message to PBI.
So how's that 24 to 48 hours thing coming, Mick ? Seems like such a nice reliable company ...
Old 11th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
So how's that 24 to 48 hours thing coming, Mick ? Seems like such a nice reliable company ...
3 days gone by so far. I'll wait until mid-week and send another nice one. Maybe they are having a board meeting to discuss the issue and need some time to get all members together.
Old 11th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Maybe they are having a board meeting to discuss the issue and need some time to get all members together.
Plus there's that 15 hour time difference
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to behold

Keep us posted Mick I was looking to get a better gear for my scoot but been holding off. Thinking I'd wait to see what comes of this. Been factory gears on her from Day 1 so a few more days won't matter. I just need a better split for the mountains 3rd to low 4th too high and on the straits I'm pullin 5 on the tach just to keep up with the group. But they ride fast on the flat
Old 11th August 2012

DR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud ofDR DICK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
Keep us posted Mick I was looking to get a better gear for my scoot but been holding off. Thinking I'd wait to see what comes of this. Been factory gears on her from Day 1 so a few more days won't matter. I just need a better split for the mountains 3rd to low 4th too high and on the straits I'm pullin 5 on the tach just to keep up with the group. But they ride fast on the flat
your problem isnt overall ratios is it?

its that the ratio spread from 3rd to 4th is too big for your riding style.

right?
Old 11th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

iNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to behold

I was lookin to lower the rear to get lower rpm on the flat and keep it a bit longer in 3rd when in the canyons hoping to make the pull harder for the same speed there. seems im only in 4th a short bit when riding the twisties. I'm only concerned with how much I'll sacrifice with the higher tooth count if I change the drive verses the driven. on my other bikes I went 1 up on drive and 2 down on driven for the canyons and it kept the bike around the same on the flat. I've never played with the gearing of this bike as its always been ok but I would like to get a drop in rpm when pullin 80 on the expressway
Old 11th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSaNeSHaNe View Post
I just need a better split for the mountains 3rd to low 4th too high and on the straits I'm pullin 5 on the tach just to keep up with the group. But they ride fast on the flat
here your lookin to gear up to get 4th out of the mix.
right?
because the 3 - 4 spread is just too big.

if so your thinkin is solid.

though when you gear up the rpm drop has a side effect that makes the 3-4 gap wider yet. this isnt a prob for the 3rd gear acting as top gear when in the twistys.

but you will definatly notice a decrease in pull when you upshift from the top of 3rd to the begining of 4th on the flats.

in a perfect world youd like to use the sprocket tooth count to give the best topgear speed.

then you would the change internal gear box ratios to rid your self of the 'missing' gear that needs to be in between 3rd too low 4th too high.

that would address all your desires wont it?
Old 11th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

well you seem to know what I'm lookin for. Unfortunatly today I may have caused a BIG problem went on a 300 mile treck for breackfast / brunch and then ice-cream when rollin down the canyon in 3rd I noticed something holding me back and then a pop and it released I pulled over and looked for something like a brake but nothin so I went on with the group and it did it again after 30 min so I looked it over again and noticed the oil drain was gone from the primary. I plugged the hole with a pencil eraser and put in the rest of my extra formula+ I keep in the sadlebag no more popping or holding back but the inside of the primary looked like silver flake. I'll take the cover off tomorrow mornin and pull the trans see if I hurt anything. SILVER is never good!!!!!
Know Thy Hog