The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

883 Sportster
Biltwell
Licks Cycles
Lowbrow Customs

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
jhaines is an unknown quantity at this point

Plan b. from the same guy that trailers me home when I break down. It's good to know people. Present company included.
Old 18th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I was not impressed with the Pine Sol, altho i did not boil it. IMO you need something more corrosive for a gunk'd up carb. Maybe that is why it is called Gunk. Wish i could find that stuff around here.
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

gunk is good! [with 3,quart's,you shouldn't have to add any water!]
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
Plan b. from the same guy that trailers me home when I break down. It's good to know people. Present company included.
+1 on the gunk my dad used it in 1974 when we rebuilt the carb on my 63 dodge dart when I was 17 , so when I rebuild a carb I get two spray can of carb cleaner ,I spray in a 3 lb coffee can to soak the carb in , then I use the other can to spray out all passages , then I blow the carb out good with air , reassemble the carb . Nikki
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

berryman's is the carb cleaner i,remember,piniongear mentioning in his post.it's mentioned in the sticky's,in another member's post. under cleaning carb's.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
hogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura about

I got the EZ adust mixture screw and filed a mark on the thumb screw part and I can easly count the turns and adjust it on the bike great, best addition to the carb.
Old 18th August 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

I've used both Berrymans and Gunk and the gunk i got back when when I pulled carb out it looked brand new not so with berrymans but I haven't seen the gunk in the can around here figured the EPA messed that up don't know.JMHO
Old 18th August 2012
Know It All

So after soaking all night in the Gunk the carb looks brand new... But still has clogged bypass jets. Using a single strand of braided wire I can verify they are still blocked.

The challenge is that there is no way to isolate that part of the circuit to get good air pressure on the back of the clog. Even with the mixture screw in and completely seated most of the air still bypasses into the main jet.

There's a milling plug directly above the clog which would have been the perfect place for a clean out point. But I guess 35 years of hindsight is usually 20/20 right?

So anyway. It's back in the dip. Any other suggestions?
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmerf View Post
I've used both Berrymans and Gunk and the gunk i got back when when I pulled carb out it looked brand new not so with berrymans but I haven't seen the gunk in the can around here figured the EPA messed that up don't know.JMHO
ezmerf that is why I buy 2 spray cans of gunk , putting one in a 3 pound coffee can , to soak the carb in , the other one to spray all the passages out with . Nikki
Old 18th August 2012
Know It All

Jets are clear. I know Mick wasn't a fan of poking them with wire, but I was out of options. Made this "tool" out of the smallest sewing needle I could find and a set of surgical hemostats. Worked like a charm.

Know Thy Hog