The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 3  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
CV Performance
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
Superbrace

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
The subject was about 150 mph. it is a lot different when talking about 180 mph or more.
Oh thanks. I gottit now. The faster you go, the more likely you are to have wheelspin. That's why you see dragsters spinning their wheels through the lights. Cool.

Quote:
Did you read what ratty wrote? I was responding to his comment about needing a knobby tire due to spinning.
Yes, I did. Could you point me to where he said you need knobbies ? I saw one humorous comment about going through the mud but nothing about "needing knobbies." My eyes aren't what they used to be, would appreciate a pointer, thanks.

Quote:
WTF is with this forum lately. Seems like all folks want to do is argue!!!
Well, kinda. but not really ... you get to say "I'm the only one that knows anything" but if someone makes a reply, that's arguing. Doesn't seem quite fair to me.

I agree, the original claim that 45 hp is enough to go 150 on a naked bike seems unlikely. But your response that it requires 110+ is stone wrong. People have gone 150+ timed at Bonneville with considerably less than 110 hp. You can say "put up or shut up" that's fine. I put up. Now you can deny it with facts or admit you were wrong.

Here's the deal : Marty Dickerson and Rollie Free both went over 150. Vincents are not small. They have a 21" front and a 20" rear and they are wider than Sportsters. Marty's motor had 8:1 pistons. The bumps on the cams of a "Black Lightning" wouldn't fill the A cup of a Chinese girl's bra. Max max max lift on a Vincent due to mechanical constraints is .375" The pipes are way too big and about three yards long. And the oh-so-special KVF-TT mag, well, if you hang onto the rajah clips and ground yourself to the frame, you can feel a slight tingle at 2,000 rpm. The cam is stationary while the points spin around, whoo-hoo, Lucas refrigeration at its finest ! Those bikes would be lucky to see 80 horse. It's a lot more likely they had about 70. That's all the factory ever claimed, and they weren't shy about their claims. 150+ mph. In the record books.

There's your proof, bunky.

It is cool that you go to Bonneville, I'm not denying that in any way. People who do stuff have more rights to talk than people who sit on their asses. But that doesn't make you god. Warner did over 200 in 1972 and we did his wheels. Or the back one, anyhow. I don't remember the front but in back we had to make a special hub. <humor> The 49 tooth pbi* sprocket went in front while the 23 tooth countershaft sprocket went on the wheel </humor> Between Warner saying, "It's pretty slick, I had to be careful at 180" and some guy on the internet claiming "There is no wheelspin" I'm gonna go with Warner. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCaveman View Post
Honda redesigned the ring and pinion setup itself. Basically changed the geometry of the hypoid gear teeth.
Cap't - are you sure they are hypoids ? Do the center lines of the shaft and the gear intersect or is the shaft offset from center ? if the pinion is on-center with the gear then it's a spiral bevel. Hypoids have a different torque reaction than spiral bevels.

*speaking of pbi, I don't want to draw any unwarranted conclusions here but it sure seems odd that they haven't responded to Mick's polite inquiry into the possibility that they are frauds, liars, and shysters. Wouldn't most honest people have some kind of response by now, especially seeing his mention of "I'm the moderator of a Sportster forum" ... ??
Old 18th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Various
CaptCaveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Had to go back and look at my service manual and yep they look hypoid though the offset of axis not very great. A nice setup without a lot slop, they do run warm though.
Old 18th August 2012
Land Speed Record

barefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nicebarefoot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCaveman View Post
Had to go back and look at my service manual and yep they look hypoid ...
Oi. Expensive. I'm impressed .... still prefer the 1935 iron Sportster tho
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Oi. Expensive. I'm impressed .... still prefer the 1935 iron Sportster tho
...where a chain oiler was considered drive-line techonology at its finest.

Although I am sure the 150mph Ironheads would have the chain oiler blanked off lest the vacuum behind the fast moving bike sucked the entire supply of oil out of the bike.
Old 18th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
Although I am sure the 150mph Ironheads would have the chain oiler blanked off lest the vacuum behind the fast moving bike sucked the entire supply of oil out of the bike.
hey ! Don't be tellin' everybody ! that's one a them hard-won speed secrets !

You have to admit tho, the Sportster brings a bigger emotional return than any Honda .. can you ride your Magna going ta-pocketa-pocketa ! with an angry sheik chasing you across the still desert night ? It's more like riding a refigerator than a motorcycle. "Cucumbers, aisle three, thank you ..."
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
... the 150mph Ironheads would have the chain oiler blanked off lest the vacuum behind the fast moving bike sucked the entire supply of oil out of the bike.
The weight of the bike would be decreasing as it moved along the track, helping to increase speed. If all of the oil vacated and the engine blew up as it crossed the finish line at a new world record it would have been engineered perfectly.
Old 18th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Various
CaptCaveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
hey ! Don't be tellin' everybody ! that's one a them hard-won speed secrets !

You have to admit tho, the Sportster brings a bigger emotional return than any Honda .. can you ride your Magna going ta-pocketa-pocketa ! with an angry sheik chasing you across the still desert night ? It's more like riding a refigerator than a motorcycle. "Cucumbers, aisle three, thank you ..."
Oh the Honda's still had soul then but they got rid of that peskey problem just like like the MoCo did and with about the same effect.
Old 18th August 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
*speaking of pbi, I don't want to draw any unwarranted conclusions here but it sure seems odd that they haven't responded to Mick's polite inquiry into the possibility that they are frauds, liars, and shysters. Wouldn't most honest people have some kind of response by now, especially seeing his mention of "I'm the moderator of a Sportster forum" ... ??
I havent been following this thread much, but whats the deal w/ PBI?
Can someone explain?
They are made in USA, and of decent quality correct?
I have seen a few fronts w/ rough seal areas, is there another issue?
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to beholdiNSaNeSHaNe is a splendid one to behold

you know i was just thinkin about how fast my ol stock 85 iron head realy is .... so I went out with my buds and they tell me it was runnin with them at 110 no problem now mind you I never saw the speed-o past 85 and I can get it to lill past 110 so are they fillin me with BS or what. here's a pic of the crew I was with I'm a lill out of place... but they couldn't loose me.

Old 18th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
The weight of the bike would be decreasing as it moved along the track, helping to increase speed.
I think you're supposed to light it. That's the Harley version of an afterburner
Know Thy Hog