The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
S&S Cycle
BIKE BUILDER
Motor Stage
Lickscycles

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
mcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enoughmcgoral will become famous soon enough

Here's a good info about how solenoid works: www.aeroelectric.com/articles/strtctr.pdf
Old 20th August 2012
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

cool; what I read there tells me that if I test with the solenoid body grounded that's the primary coil working, if I test with the voltage out terminal grounded I've just tested the secondary "hold" coil.
Old 20th August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Sportster XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
rangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the rough

I would always ground case to negative side of batter and use just the smaller post to check if solenoid is work or not if its pulling in its working.I would never use the bigger post to make a complete short of the negative and positive post on the solenoid to batter this could damage the copper washer in side solenoid plunger unit.
Old 20th August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
... So i should hook up the ohmmeter during the test, and watch it while i have the jumper on the terminal? Or i could hook up the continuity section and hear the beep when the socket is drawn in?
Quote:
So this means that the -ve battery cable should be connected to the short stud, not to the solenoid case? And perhaps i should keep the momentary contact on a little longer to test the hold in coil?
So i need answers to these questions. What i want is answers with no explanations or theory of why it works. Those theories are often opinions, often not well expressed, and are confusing to those who do not understand.

What i do want is to post a simple, correct procedure, what wires to hook up where, and what to do, to test the solenoid.
Old 20th August 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Quote:
So i need answers to these questions. What i want is answers with no explanations or theory of why it works. Those theories are often opinions, often not well expressed, and are confusing to those who do not understand.

What i do want is to post a simple, correct procedure, what wires to hook up where, and what to do, to test the solenoid.
Originally Posted by IronMick
... So i should hook up the ohmmeter during the test, and watch it while i have the jumper on the terminal? Or i could hook up the continuity section and hear the beep when the socket is drawn in?

You could connect a lamp type continuity tester to the long stud (Batt) terminal of the solenoid and the pos side of the battery. This will conduct the battery neg through the solenoid contact plate to one side of the test lamp and with the other side of the test lamp connected to the pos side of the battery, light the test light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
So this means that the -ve battery cable should be connected to the short stud, not to the solenoid case? And perhaps i should keep the momentary contact on a little longer to test the hold in coil?

Yes that is correct. That will test the pull in coil. To test the hold in coil you would ground the case to battery negative and put battery positive to the starter relay terminal of the solenoid.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Sportster XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley Sportster XLH
rangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the roughrangerman is a jewel in the rough

hope this helps mick?

Old 20th August 2012
Ironhead Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 900
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Yellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the roughYellowstone Kelly is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

The problem here is that with only the solenoid body and a socket, you can't fully test the operation of the solenoid. You can only test the pull-in and hold-in coils. Without the battery connected and the plunger installed, you can't tell if the solenoid is shorting the two large studs together internally to apply a lot of current to the starter motor, which is the solenoid's job.

To test the pull-in coil:

1. Connect ve - to short, large stud of the solenoid.
2. mometarily apply +12 volt jumper wire to small terminal. Socket should pull in. Leave it pulled in to test hold-in coil

To test hold in coil:

1. Move ve - wire from short large stud to solenoid case.
2. apply +12 volts to small terminal. Try to pull the socket out of the solenoid. The hold-in coil should resist your effort to pull the socket out while +12 volts is applied to the small terminal. Remove the +12 volts from the small terminal, and the socket should slide easily back out of the solenoid.

That's all you can test using just the soleoid body, a battery, jumper wires, and a socket.
Old 20th August 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstone Kelly View Post
The problem here is that with only the solenoid body and a socket, you can't fully test the operation of the solenoid. You can only test the pull-in and hold-in coils. Without the battery connected and the plunger installed, you can't tell if the solenoid is shorting the two large studs together internally to apply a lot of current to the starter motor, which is the solenoid's job.

2. mometarily apply +12 volt jumper wire to small terminal. Socket should pull in. Leave it pulled in to test hold-in coil

To test hold in coil:

2. apply +12 volts to small terminal. Try to pull the socket out of the solenoid. The hold-in coil should resist your effort to pull the socket out while +12 volts is applied to the small terminal. Remove the +12 volts from the small terminal, and the socket should slide easily back out of the solenoid.

That's all you can test using just the soleoid body, a battery, jumper wires, and a socket.
You could load test the contact plate of the solenoid by connecting a lamp between the battery term of the solenoid and the positive term of the battery. The contact plate will conduct battery negative through it to the lamp. Using a headlight would do a pretty good job of it.
Old 21st August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007Low View Post
You could load test the contact plate of the solenoid by connecting a lamp between the battery term of the solenoid and the positive term of the battery. The contact plate will conduct battery negative through it to the lamp. Using a headlight would do a pretty good job of it.
? To be clear on this ...
  1. jumper from batt +ve to to +ve of light
  2. jumper from long stud to -ve of light
  3. jumper from batt -ve to short stud
  4. push the plunger in using your finger
The bulb lights up.
Old 21st August 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstone Kelly View Post

To test hold in coil:

2. apply +12 volts to small terminal. Try to pull the socket out of the solenoid. The hold-in coil should resist your effort to pull the socket out while +12 volts is applied to the small terminal. Remove the +12 volts from the small terminal, and the socket should slide easily back out of the solenoid ...
In my testing it did not matter whether the batt -ve was connected to the short stud or to the sol case. Either way the socket both pulled in and was held in.
Know Thy Hog