The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
Foxcreek Leather
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs

Licks Holiday
View Poll Results: How far CAN you go before you HAVE to refill your (carby) 4.5 gal tank?
Less than 130 miles 5 4.13%
130 - 134 miles 8 6.61%
135 - 139 miles 4 3.31%
140 - 144 miles 4 3.31%
145 - 149 miles 7 5.79%
150 - 154 miles 8 6.61%
155 - 159 miles 4 3.31%
160 - 164 miles 9 7.44%
165 - 169 miles 9 7.44%
170 - 174 miles 11 9.09%
175 - 179 miles 8 6.61%
180 - 184 miles 12 9.92%
185 - 189 miles 6 4.96%
190 miles + 26 21.49%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

Aftwr nseeing the results of this poll I am surpised to see that 4 riders are getting less than 150 miles before they have to get gas.
Old 21st August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C 2005
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
MaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of light

107 miles and im hitting reserves. funny too when i go to fill up bike never take 4.5 gallons 3.7 at best .

those with the same Custom 4.5 gal tank what does it take you to fill up im usually hitting the pump around 107 miles and less then < 3.7gal

how in the world are you all hitting 150?

right now only mods are Cycle shack slips and some throw over bags. oh also a tool bag fully equipped with Gremlin bell my Boy got me on my first out of city trip.
Old 21st August 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 2006 1200 custom
bsheets64 is an unknown quantity at this pointbsheets64 is an unknown quantity at this point

140 seems to be a fairly consistent number for me....
Old 23rd August 2012
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

before the lift and SE air cleaner I never filled up before 165 miles...now I need to strap a 2 gallon jug on the luggage rack and just go to see what I've lost with the lift.

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Old 24th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
cHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud ofcHarley04 has much to be proud of

I don't know how to answer a poll like this if the question doesn't contain test conditions or motor size?

Stage-1 1200:
Stop & Go city riding ~130 miles till reserve.
Easy Hwy Cruising (60-65 mph) ~190 miles till reserve.
Making time on the slab (85-85 mph) ~150 miles till reserve.

At reserve I take 3.8 gal to fill.

Old 24th August 2012
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Before I rejetted my carb I was hitting reserve around 165 and had pushed the bike to about 190 miles. After rejetting I hit reserve around 150 - 155. Much of my riding is highway speeds and I have not noticed a significant difference when I combine local with highway.

I get nervous about fuel around 170 miles and I think I have taken on about 4.2 gallons near that mark after I have rejetted.

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 24th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250R Hammer Performance
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
leo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to behold

i fill up at about 160 miles. and that takes about 3.2 gallons.
I used to switch to reserve and keep going over 200 miles till I ran out and had to push on a hot day.

now if i switch to reserve, i go straight to the gas station.
Old 24th August 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
JackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant futureJackAttack has a brilliant future

Most of my riding is back and forth to work, which is about 5 miles. I think thats why I get less than 150.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 24th August 2012
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarley04 View Post
I don't know how to answer a poll like this if the question doesn't contain test conditions or motor size?
Test conditions? It's not a scientific study, just a general question about people's everyday experiences.

In my experience, the sort of riding peole do, and their riding style, have much more impact on the mpg they get, than the size of the motor does.
'The green machine'
Old 24th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

My '06 , a 1200, typically calls for reserve between 190-210 miles. I have seen 230 on more than one occasion but that's not the norm. My bike has gotten 66 m.p.g. on several runs and that was checked and confirmed by others based on their miles and my gas usage.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Know Thy Hog