The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
NHRS Performance
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs
Speedway Instruments

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S-awesome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud ofsportsterdoc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
The difficulty here is going to be keeping the angle of the surfaces correct as the sanding is done. It is imperitive to use a hard block of some sort with the sandpaper attached to it, so that the surface stays flat.

I would start with around 240 grit paper just to get any warping out, then go to 360, then 500 would be good enough to finish off with. Good solid flat strokes, and not a sawing back and forth, because that will cause it to get deeper at the end of each stroke leaving a curved surface. Hold the block flat on the surface, then careful firm straight strokes, one at a time. If you can use a cross hatch pattern that makes it cut better, go one direction, then as the grit lines get deeper, change to a cross stroke and that cuts across the tops of all the "furrows", to help keep it straight and makes it go faster. Get it completely flat with the coarse paper before going to finer, because using fine paper just creates an uneven surface that follows harder spots in the surface. Whn you get to the finer paper, just a few strokes to remove the coarser grooves, and quit, then go a step finer and do the same, and quit as soon as the deeper scratches are gone in every step.
Very good points, "professor"!
I "milled" a two stroke head once on a 6" belt grinder. I know, I know, the pros will cringe. I wanted a bit more compression and did not have much $ to spend in the early seventies. To test what I did, I bolted it on without the copper head gasket. No leak and the compression meter read a bit higher. Then I re-assembled it with the gasket. Moral of the story: You can do a lot with make-do setups, with a little education and a bit of caution.
Old 5th September 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs_nate View Post
propane didn't show a leak, correct
Then maybe you are chasing ghosts.

I say, do some plug readings and see if they show that (rear is it?) jug to be running lean. Lets not waste the rest of your summer looking for something that isn't there.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 5th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: CB750k SOHC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of04xl1200c has much to be proud of

One thing I noted is when I purchased my intake gaskets at the dealer they told me it was MORE common for the flanges to warp so they sold me gaskets and seals and I have never had a sealing problem! I did note that the "old" flanges had a ever so slight bend to them when they where installed. But they laid flat when removed!

Now BOTH my plugs look the same!

After install:
[URL="http://youtu.be/f3vMKoFHw-8"]http://youtu.be/f3vMKoFHw-8[/URL]

Facebook XL Group:
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/groups/202086829894902/?ref=ts&fref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/groups/202086829894902/?ref=ts&fref=ts[/URL]

Facebook TC88A Group:
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/TC88A/"]https://www.facebook.com/groups/TC88A/[/URL]

[IMG]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i334/cbsevenfiftyk/2-1%20exhaust/th_DSCN0231.jpg[/IMG]
Old 6th September 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1999 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1998 1200 Custom
nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough
Question plugs are VERY much the same

[quote=wedge;4131214]Then maybe you are chasing ghosts.

I say, do some plug readings and see if they show that (rear is it?) jug to be running lean. Lets not waste the rest of your summer looking for something that isn't there.

plugs changed to a greyish blackish +++A little on the rich side+++ they are now very similar. I don't think they can be exactly the same..Since the plugs were same enough this means I might not have a leak after all+++++!!!!!!!

Last edited by nrs_nate; 6th September 2012 at 22:14.. Reason: whoa
Old 7th September 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1999 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1998 1200 Custom
nrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enoughnrs_nate will become famous soon enough

Just tried carb cleaner on my dads bike and it did the same thing..I think i'm in the clear!!
Thanks for all the advice!!!!Ride on
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th September 2012
Whitworth Products

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs_nate View Post
Just tried carb cleaner on my dads bike and it did the same thing..I think i'm in the clear!!
Thanks for all the advice!!!!Ride on
Yeah, I have mentioned that tentatively before, because I remember it happening on car engines, but it was never totally for sure positive in my mind. This seems to be yet another test that it is really an issue. I think the propane may be the better way to go. I also wonder how many of us have changed seals for nothing?
Old 10th September 2012
Whitworth Products

Now that it is ridable, and probably rich enough, I would suggest that you decide if you want to tune it the rest of the way now, or take a riding break.

You definitely earned a good break behind bars.

I forget now if you have a list of what is in that carb, but I think you do. That is good, just don't loose those notes (or any notes for that matter, if you don't have one a good log is invaluable). If you don't, then we will work through that later.

Then go have a good summer, and come back when you are ready to make this thing a bit meaner.