The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Biltwell
CV Performance
Bison Motorsports

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
8ironface2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayrider View Post
You might look into the requirements to file a mechanics lean. It may be possible to get it done with just a mechanics liscense/regristration. Many mechanics take jobs on the side out of their home. The intent of this law in Idaho is that when the final bill is more than the cars owner feels the car is worth, they may decide not to pay the bill. It allows the mechanic to sell the car to recover his money.
i contacted my mechanic buddy to see if he knows anything about this. i just know the great state of nj absolutely sucks when it comes to stuff like this. well now that i think about it nj sucks when it comes to anything lol.
Old 5th September 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by semjpm View Post
Lived in NJ for 40 years and have dealt with the DMV many times. Two points, the VIN is in their system and they could do a search. Also, does the uncle's will or estate list the bike? Those two documents should be a chain of ownership.

SEMJPM
i do have the vin certified threw the state as well as stencils. but unfortunetly there was no will or anthing of that matter.
Old 5th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
CobraJet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ironface2 View Post
does it have to be the state police or can local police perform this as well?
Around here, the Hiway Patrol has one officer in each branch office that is certified to do this.
Old 5th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
CobraJet is an unknown quantity at this point

I responded with the above without reading all the previous responces.

Now that I've read the mentions of the mechanics lean that is another good possibility. I did this once on a car that was given to me. I'm not a mechanic, this was the only choice I was given by the DMV when I asked them about it.

The neat thing about this was it cleared all of the back DMV reg. fees so I didn't have to pay any!

The total time it took was 90 days if my memory serves me. I just had to fill out a statement of facts and then send a certified letter to each of the previous owners (DMV gave me the list) stating that I stored the car and the storage bill was $$$. If any of them wanted to make a claim on it they would have to pay me the stated $$$. Of course this amount was made up by me and was more than the car was worth.

You might want to check with your local DMV about this .....

All of the certified letters came back to me undelivered. I then brought the unopened letters with me to DMV where they started the paperwork for my new reg.
Old 5th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
crossroader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oklahoma

Buck fifty, independent middle person, look local for, NEED TITLE OR LOST TITLE. these people know the ropes, took me 3 weeks, and all is well.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th September 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

I'm across the river in PA. PA is almost as bad. Once in the system, you have a hard time using those title comapnies.

But.... I just got a barn find Harely Aermacchi in June. I found a form on PennDOT's website to submit (with fee of course) to find out who is the listed title owner. I had to approach it as an impounded vehicle and looking for the owner. Well, state sent me a letter with all the info they had. I then googled the name and result shows same street as PA had. I sent a letter asking what they wanted to do. Pickup the bike and pay storage fees or sell me the title for $50 and I pay fees. They Phoned back and they would sell the title.

I'm not sure NJ has same type of form, but they probably do. Of course the storage fee's should be at least what you spend on the bike so far. And the exectuor of the estate can sign over title or get copies of titles...

Also, if the guy was a free spirit, maybe it wasn't even titled in his name. Could have been a friends bike he just rode. Or he never transfered the title which means it wasn't his in the eye's of the state.

And if all this fails, you need a lawyer. A few hundred bucks and so many days of posting notices in local papers.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 6th September 2012
Biker

well after countless hours on the phone getting bounced from person to person nj couldnt help me. and to be honest these people got a freakin attitude problem. like doing there own job is an annoyance or something. then after the frustration of dealing with nj i was on the phone countless hours with ny and they were of no help aswell. as tmack stated im begening to think he never even registered this bike. just threw a plate on it and called it a day. ive known some that this is the case. im at a road block and im seriously getting frustrated. months of bouncing back and forth along with paperwork from nj/ny is getting tiring.
Old 6th September 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: buellster
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

I always run the vin before I buy, and have seen 3 out of 11 bikes get confiscated by the sherriffs office, in the last 5 years. We just give the vin & 5 bucks for a check of anything with a vin. In other words, if you have the vin run, you may lose the bike & all you have invested. FYI, all three bikes lost were CL.
Old 6th September 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlron View Post
I always run the vin before I buy, and have seen 3 out of 11 bikes get confiscated by the sherriffs office, in the last 5 years. We just give the vin & 5 bucks for a check of anything with a vin. In other words, if you have the vin run, you may lose the bike & all you have invested. FYI, all three bikes lost were CL.

the vin was ran and came back perfectly fine. i just cant find any history proving that my buddy's uncle was the owner of the bike. thats the last thing the state of NY needs to issue a title.
Old 6th September 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 76 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: 05 Honda 1800 VTX
retirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really niceretirementtoy is just really nice

You may want to find out who is the administrator of his estate (probably wife) and have them sign a paper saying he owned it and have it notarized. It might be all the state needs.
Know Thy Hog