The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2017
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Baby883 has disabled reputation
Default What about the new Softail Dynas?

Falling in love with the new Fat Bob...

I been reading all the hype about the merge of the two lines, wondering what you guys think, do you share the excitement ?

Loving the Bob but would settle for the street

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 24th August 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

I to am drawn to it however my back issues dictate that I keep my feet under me or even behind. Are we looking down the road at a "balanced", monoshocked Sporty with oil cooled heads? Hey, if they dropped some weight and maybe picked up a couple h.p. That would be fine by me.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 24th August 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
tvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant futuretvon has a brilliant future

check out this thread, already being discussed:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=2034885
Old 24th August 2017
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200, 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki T250 Hustler
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
Tin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Merging the lines makes good sense to me, kind of leaves room for the Sporty line. I think the Sporty's and Dyna's were a bit to close in size and cost. And just to be honest here it's not really a merger, they just dropped the Dyna line. Hopefully the Sporty line will be the next line to have a bundle of corp. cash thrown at it next year.
Old 24th August 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
I to am drawn to it however my back issues dictate that I keep my feet under me or even behind. Are we looking down the road at a "balanced", monoshocked Sporty with oil cooled heads? Hey, if they dropped some weight and maybe picked up a couple h.p. That would be fine by me.
There's a mid-mount Street Bob, so I would think the frame on all of them is set up for them. The issue is whether or not the Fat Bob exhaust would interfere with the mounts. If not I think one would be good to go.

The Fat Bob is the ONLY one that really interests me because it's the only one with Dual Discs.

That said, VISUALLY the Heritage grabs me (for the first time ever). But I wouldn't pull the trigger with a single disc, no way. Just doesn't make sense for a 700# bike designed to be ridden 2-up or loaded!

I don't think we're going to see a mono-shock sporty. At least I'd be surprised. You see a full line of mono-shock bikes in the line-up now, they don't need to do that to the Sporty, THAT would make it too close to the new Softail line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man 2 View Post
Merging the lines makes good sense to me, kind of leaves room for the Sporty line. I think the Sporty's and Dyna's were a bit to close in size and cost. And just to be honest here it's not really a merger, they just dropped the Dyna line. Hopefully the Sporty line will be the next line to have a bundle of corp. cash thrown at it next year.
To be fair, they dropped BOTH lines. This is a new frame and it's no more a Softail than Jenn's Duc is or my old Guzzi Breva. What they did was adopt a more modern mono-shock design and put the shock where it worked better, and just happened to still be hidden. They kept the name for marketing purposes (which I actually think was a mistake). They made some major changes and should have just renamed the whole damn line up - maybe even taken new model names too.

A lot of people are complaining that the Low Rider looks more like a SuperGlide...
Old 24th August 2017
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Baby883 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
There's a mid-mount Street Bob, so I would think the frame on all of them is set up for them. The issue is whether or not the Fat Bob exhaust would interfere with the mounts. If not I think one would be good to go.

The Fat Bob is the ONLY one that really interests me because it's the only one with Dual Discs.

That said, VISUALLY the Heritage grabs me (for the first time ever). But I wouldn't pull the trigger with a single disc, no way. Just doesn't make sense for a 700# bike designed to be ridden 2-up or loaded!

I don't think we're going to see a mono-shock sporty. At least I'd be surprised. You see a full line of mono-shock bikes in the line-up now, they don't need to do that to the Sporty, THAT would make it too close to the new Softail line.

To be fair, they dropped BOTH lines. This is a new frame and it's no more a Softail than Jenn's Duc is or my old Guzzi Breva. What they did was adopt a more modern mono-shock design and put the shock where it worked better, and just happened to still be hidden. They kept the name for marketing purposes (which I actually think was a mistake). They made some major changes and should have just renamed the whole damn line up - maybe even taken new model names too.

A lot of people are complaining that the Low Rider looks more like a SuperGlide...
Awesome review good points.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 24th August 2017
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200, 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki T250 Hustler
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
Tin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Made it to my local dealer today, they had 3 new Softails on the floor. I was impressed, very nice bikes. No Demo rides yet but they look great and sit good for me. It's been a while since I lusted after a new Harley, but I lusted for this one. By the way the new headlamp on the 114 Fat Bob looks good in person.
Old 24th August 2017
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Heritage bikes a lot, the Slim not quite as much, also the Street Bob. The Fat Bob & the Fat Boy are the ugly sisters. 700 pounds is still a pretty heavy bike despite the weight loss. New improved HDs means new improved prices, especially in the UK with all the duties, tax etc. Sticking with my Sporty.
Old 24th August 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post

I don't think we're going to see a mono-shock sporty. At least I'd be surprised. You see a full line of mono-shock bikes in the line-up now, they don't need to do that to the Sporty, THAT would make it too close to the new Sportster line.
The Buell was a sporty with monoshock and people barf on them; XB Line.

Sponsored Links
Old 26th August 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
felis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond repute

The Fat Bob is really cool. Almost as cool as my Roadster.
Tire/wheel size doesn't do it for me, and I like mid controls.
Otherwise, it's pretty much right there.
I'd love to have that seat height on my Roadster though.

The Street Bob and Low Rider are pretty good too. I'm talking strictly design/visuals here.
I like the wheels on the Low Rider. The front almost looks like an old Invader rim.
The high bars, fork boots, and spoked wheels are fitting for the Street Bob.

I think the previous versions of the Breakout, Deluxe and Heritage looked better.

Softail Slim doesn't do anything for me.
And I think the wheels on the Fat Boy are about the ugliest I've seen.
No offense to those who like them. Different strokes and all that.

Structurally - the frame and engine changes seem pretty much all good. Time will tell on those.
Most people who have reported on test riding them seem to be giving almost universal praise.