The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute
Default What? Next generation harley??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNDqwPK-po

MIGHT BE GETTING CLOSER THAN WE THINK
Old 25th September 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Unforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to beholdUnforgiven is a splendid one to behold

Holy crap. Dude was doing some serious motivating with very little effort.
Old 26th September 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
felis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the idea of an off-road electric bike.
Cover more ground scooting quietly through the woods,
than on a human powered bike.

I'm not sold on the idea for an on-road bike yet.
Stickin' with my Sportster for that.
Old 29th September 2017
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
felis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond reputefelis has a reputation beyond repute

The video in the first post is gone,
but I found this article that says Harley is planning a full line of electric bikes:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/05/1...edium=exchange

".... you can imagine how our collective ears perked up at news that Harley was planning a “full line” of electric bikes as part of strategy ...."

No time line is given though.
Old 1st October 2017

bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

well as herman munster would say
darn darn darn
i wonder what the dude who posted did??
Old 2nd October 2017
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Mo.Co.
But electrical vehicles if properly designed are very powerful and reliable...
only downside, at least till now, are the very high production costs involved...
when research and money will be poured on that breed of engines... we have to expect a massive revolution... maybe our gransons have to expect that... to tell the true...
Old 2nd October 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

While I understand the want for sustainability for the MoCo, this concept of electric bikes will be the final coffin nail for our gas engines in the interest of going green. As always, nobody cares what the customer wants. It's all about what they can sell. The law says they have to provide replacement parts for 7 years after conception. So, I expect that to be the near time frame when our gas engines will be phased out and ruled unsafe to be on the road. I'd love to be wrong.

The only one elite in my life was a beautiful Australian Shepherd and I shot him for biting me.
Old 2nd October 2017
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
While I understand the want for sustainability for the MoCo, this concept of electric bikes will be the final coffin nail for our gas engines in the interest of going green. As always, nobody cares what the customer wants. It's all about what they can sell. The law says they have to provide replacement parts for 7 years after conception. So, I expect that to be the near time frame when our gas engines will be phased out and ruled unsafe to be on the road. I'd love to be wrong.
philosophycally, psychologically... customer does want and desire things that he is able to see on everyday life...

today is early for that... tomorrow instead...
maybe we must be prepared to witness a third global revolution

(the first was computer digitalization for people born when that was a dream,
the second was global network informations in real time between people at the other ends of the world... )

you Americans had triggered the first two revolutions
why not trigger even the third?

Last edited by Nibelungen; 2nd October 2017 at 13:51..
Old 2nd October 2017

well mr. hippy you make an excellent observation!!
i totally agree, look at the non 8 foot bed trucks, a slap to the working man, i will keep mine as long as i can.
as a side note though, sometimes it is not the mfg but big brother of sister.
i loved the two cycle lawn mowers!!!! (made great cart engines also) the demise of lawn boy was initiated by a congress woman (if the story is true). it seems a lot of things cali does eventually goes viral and others follow suite.
i blame the idiot operator. it seems that a lawn crew got on the wrong side of this woman by working early morning (not illegal) so she decided to get even. we all know what happens when we use too much oil in a two cycle and she used this to push restrictions on the use there of. in her mind, if i can't get justice because they were within the rights to cut grass at that hour then i go for carb issue.
true or not???
true two cycle do pollute more but if mixed right, hardly smoke except for hard acceleration and on a coast down build up. but on the other side, a 50:1 pollutes less than dumping used oil.
chin on 5-O road an electric bike.
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd October 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibelungen View Post
you Americans had triggered the first two revolutions
why not trigger even the third?
Hey, this ain't my fault. I've said for years that the information age is going to ruin us all. The thinking that humans are slow and inefficient to computers, seems to be the driving force for everything. Looks like in the future, as some would have it, we will not be allowed to drive at all but rather sit back and let the computer do the work. This tech approach will dumb down people to the point of not knowing how to be self sufficient in many ways. Hence the need to rely on technology to survive.

Technology is no longer headed in the direction to enhance the quality of life but rather to control it.

I work with a guy who has EFI on a Dyna and swears that it is the Best thing that ever happened to an engine. The truth is, he's not carb savvy and lacks the skills to deduce carb problems. Both fuel delivery systems do work fine but he would say that carbs should be outlawed.