The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Members Birthdays
41caninek1 (77), InkyDoggy (67), shepsvettes (65), outlw (46), outlaw05 (46), bklyngeezer (45), Skinn (44), theguy35 (39), IronHound (39), 2013iron883 (37), huge_midgit (31)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet, now put a second disc on the front and mids and I might be tempted!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 11th November 2017
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200, 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki T250 Hustler
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
Tin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Back a few years twin disks may have been needed, with the new tech in brakes they are just extra weight on a street bike. Willing to bet the new bike stops faster then the twin disks of the past.
Old 11th November 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man 2 View Post
Back a few years twin disks may have been needed, with the new tech in brakes they are just extra weight on a street bike. Willing to bet the new bike stops faster then the twin disks of the past.
I could argue either side of this.

Pro Single:

* You're right, modern setups are hella strong.
* Unsprung weight.
* Usage of bikes like this will probably not include fade.
* Some people like the look of singles better.

Pro Dual

* The linked duals on my RK are even stronger (like haul it down with one finger strong)
* Bikes like this may carry extra weight (passengers and luggage)
* Bikes like this can enjoy the longer maintenance intervals.
* Unsprung weight means jack to bikes like this.
* Some people like the looks of duals better.

I'm firmly in the later camp.
Old 11th November 2017
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: hugger 1250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 94
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant futurejammantoo has a brilliant future

I can see both sides of the brake debate, in the last few years Harley has finally come into the modern era of brakes with floating disc and multi pot calipers, but I think the control you get from a dual disc setup is much better than a single disc.

I prefer dual disc, always have, another reason is the disc stay cooler and the brakes do not fade when getting a work out in the twisties, which I love to do.

I see this bike as kinda cool, it is a lighter bike with small bags that you can use everyday and not have to take the behemoth out. that is my kind of daily rider. the only thing I have any reservation with is I have not seen the size of the bags. I have had a few bikes that the bags I added were just to small for my daily needs.

My take on this bike is add another front brake and make sure the bags are usable and I am all over it.

However, I have that in a sporty right now.
Old 11th November 2017
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

However, I have that in a sporty right now.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I'd also need another £10K to buy it. That £10k could get me a decent classic Ironhead, a dirt bike & a good used car & still have change
Old 11th November 2017

Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammantoo View Post
I see this bike as kinda cool, it is a lighter bike with small bags that you can use everyday and not have to take the behemoth out. that is my kind of daily rider.
The real irony of that statement these bikes (both the Sport Glide and Heritage)I are closer in size (almost the same weight, slightly less lean angle, and probably a hair smaller in overall length though I'd have to double check that last one) than the FLH series 20 years ago.

That's back when my EVO RK WAS my daily rider!!!

And yeah, it didn't feel like a behemoth back then.
Old 11th November 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I could argue either side of this.

Pro Single:

* You're right, modern setups are hella strong.
* Unsprung weight.
* Usage of bikes like this will probably not include fade.
* Some people like the look of singles better.

Pro Dual

* The linked duals on my RK are even stronger (like haul it down with one finger strong)
* Bikes like this may carry extra weight (passengers and luggage)
* Bikes like this can enjoy the longer maintenance intervals.
* Unsprung weight means jack to bikes like this.
* Some people like the looks of duals better.

I'm firmly in the later camp.
Is one of the front disc linked to the rear disc on your FLHP?
Ex. The front brake lever controls one front disc. The rear brake peddle controls the rear disc and the other front disc?
Old 11th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Is one of the front disc linked to the rear disc on your FLHP?
Ex. The front brake lever controls one front disc. The rear brake peddle controls the rear disc and the other front disc?
I THINK everything is electronically linked through the ABS system and the answer varies.

I'm not 100% but here's my current understanding:

If braking starts below 35 mph the front works front (both sides) and the rear works the rear.

If braking starts above 35 mph the front works everything and the rear works the rear and one side of the front.

(the latter is why I can 1 finger haul it down with just the lever).

But I need to get the service manual and confirm that.

I have actually felt it balancing braking when I use just one then add the other and suddenly the pedal or lever position changes subtly.
Old 13th November 2017
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I THINK everything is electronically linked through the ABS system and the answer varies.

I'm not 100% but here's my current understanding:

If braking starts below 35 mph the front works front (both sides) and the rear works the rear.

If braking starts above 35 mph the front works everything and the rear works the rear and one side of the front.

(the latter is why I can 1 finger haul it down with just the lever).

But I need to get the service manual and confirm that.

I have actually felt it balancing braking when I use just one then add the other and suddenly the pedal or lever position changes subtly.

That is my understanding as well with the exception of only one front disc being engaged when using the rear. First time I have heard that however it could be because the bikes I looked at didn't have dual front discs

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 13th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
That is my understanding as well with the exception of only one front disc being engaged when using the rear. First time I have heard that however it could be because the bikes I looked at didn't have dual front discs
I've heard comments that some old-time riders who tend to only use the rear brake on these dressers with the linked systems see brake pads really unevenly worn in the front (i.e. the one caliper with more wear).

I've no actual experience other than the hearsay, but if it is true it would make sense.