The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
8ironface2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what should i do!!!! (cant get the title)

good day everyone. im just going to get straight to the point. i just finished my ironhead budget build and i cant get the title !... i got the bike from a good friend who's uncle had passed away and left it to him. going back and forth with the great state of nj i have everything i need except proof that he was the owner of the bike such as registration etc. the guy was a free soul and nobody knows where any of his paper work is. i guess what im asking is other than buying another frame i dont have the money for, what are my options and how can i go about them? id really appriciate any suggestions or guidence. thanks

Last edited by Folkie; 4th September 2012 at 18:34..
Old 4th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
CobraJet is an unknown quantity at this point

At the risk of sounding crazy, have you tried doing a reg. lookup with the local Hiway Patrol? This is the 1st step we have to go thru in Ca. to start a new reg. on something like this. You will need the bill of sale from the person you got the bike from. The cops will look up the frame ID to make sure it's not stolen. They will give you a form that the dept. of motor vehicles needs to start a new reg. for you.
Old 4th September 2012
Biker

nothing crazy about that, it actually makes a lot of sense. im deff. gonna look into that.
does it have to be the state police or can local police perform this as well?
Old 4th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

try this ??
https://www.rocketlawyer.com/secure/...dTAodBU8AwQ#q1
Old 4th September 2012

shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

or
http://www.getnewtitle.com/component...le-titles.html
Old 4th September 2012

There are some other title places but for the life of me I can't find them or remember the names
Old 4th September 2012
Biker

actually i did come across one site kind of like those but they wanted like 850$. i just dont have that kind of money. i think im gonna try the state trooper route first and go from there. id hate to say it but if i cant get the title in an efficiant manner im gonna have to part out a perfectly good running bike..smh
Old 4th September 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

Lived in NJ for 40 years and have dealt with the DMV many times. Two points, the VIN is in their system and they could do a search. Also, does the uncle's will or estate list the bike? Those two documents should be a chain of ownership.

SEMJPM
Old 4th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ironface2 View Post
actually i did come across one site kind of like those but they wanted like 850$. i just dont have that kind of money. i think im gonna try the state trooper route first and go from there. id hate to say it but if i cant get the title in an efficiant manner im gonna have to part out a perfectly good running bike..smh
what about an after market frame ?? gawd I would hate to see it go to pieces
Sponsored Links
Old 4th September 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki M90
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Shiloh is on a distinguished roadShiloh is on a distinguished roadShiloh is on a distinguished roadShiloh is on a distinguished roadShiloh is on a distinguished road

Recently I just went through a DMV stir. My bike was not registered for 10+ years, no paperwork and should have been out of the system. Due to a recent iquiry it popped back up into the system. The person I bought it from wasn't on the reg and who knows where the previouse owner is. What I needed to then provide was a bill of sale and a "statement of facts" provided by the DMV and filled out by myself and another by the seller. I needed one for myself explaining how I aquired the motorcycle and another from the person I bought it from explaining why they had it for so long without it being registered in their name and why they felt they could sell me the bike. After having this the DMV started my paperwork.

This might be all you may need to start yours as well. An explination from the seller as to how they aquired the bike and one from you explaining the same.