The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racing Engine

The new Sidecar engine is nearly finished. Minor tweaks here and there but it's so close I can smell the Methanol.

Oh. Hang on. I need to clean that up pobably. Anyway.....

Small stroker. 1080 cc. S&S 4 1/2 inch. JE Pistons. Head work by Dan Baisley (The man himself) with his roller rockers. S&S Super B Alcohol (Engine is a Meth burner). Trock steel door. Morris front mount direct drive mag with split leads running single fire duel plugged heads.

I'm hoping for 90 BHP on this one.
Old 27th August 2016
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch stroker
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold8ball is a splendid one to behold

o is that a beauty...the wires are they morris msf or spliced? i assume msf or similar as you said single fire...less your sticking another mag on there
Old 27th August 2016
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud ofbrucstoudt has much to be proud of

cool.lot's of details there about the motor.how about the XR-750 style clutch release?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 27th August 2016
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
CHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of lightCHOPTOP37 is a glorious beacon of light

nice... lets hear it..
Old 27th August 2016
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant future

Look at the size of the drive sprocket! Can you not put a larger rear sprocket on it? Larger sprockets have less drag and chain wear.

Is that a rules thing?
Old 27th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Sprocket is a 17 but I will go up from there probably. Not running a Sporty rear wheel and I can run smaller rear sprockets. I have a 49 on there at the moment. I think the gearing will probably come down to about 4.15 to 1.

And you have to remember this is for a sidecar. I can't hold it on the track at 145 MPH.

Yup, Morris SMF wires or whatever he calls them. Single fire dual plug.
I'm allowed to run the XR750 clucth arm because I'm old. Too old to pull the clutch in with heavy duty springs. That's what I told them anyway so they let me run it. The stock Sportster worm drive is a .... not good design. (I can't say krap)
Old 27th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I get the XR750 arms from Bob Weiss. At $150 a pop they are a cheap way to fix your Sporty junk. Er ..... Old style stuff.
They actually look a bit out of place on a 900 but the truth is ... I am old. I need all the help I can get.

http://www.weissracing.com/main.html?src=%2F

Last edited by Ferrous Head; 27th August 2016 at 06:09..
Old 27th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1956 KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1956
56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light56KHK is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice. I want one of those XR750 clutch arms. I am old too. Let us know the results if you dyno this puppy.

Jim
Old 27th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Oh you kids.
It has to go on the Dyno.
I can get the ignition to within a degree or two and the air fuel within 5% by ear.
Simply not good enough for a race engine. OK for my road bikes but I want to be first into turn 1 one more time. After that, who cares ? I just have to finish. I proved my point.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th August 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thought I'd better put a shot of the left side in too.

Engine is now "finished" and we will do a trial fitting in the new frame today.
Frame isn't finished either. We are experimenting with a rubber mount set up. My passenger complains bitterly about the vibrations. She's often holding on to the bare frame which doesn't have the same "cushion effect" my hand grips ive me.

I keep telling her it doesnt really vibrate, they are just "power pulses".