The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (73), SDREDD (56), pig (54), BonRu (52), cbass (44), ssm7530 (42), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (34)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to behold

You guys are MIA.......
Sponsored Links
Old 28th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sputhe Iron head
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
waffa1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi chevelle, sorry not to have replied earlier to you but I haven't been on here for a good while. I was made redundant from my job so things have had to take a back seat.
Once I really got into the engine & was able to have a good look there was so much that needed replacing. I bought a used Ironhead motor to cannibalise for the bits.
All the covers, primary, timing, rockers were shot, so was the primary drive & the clutch. Gearbox is o/k but worn.
I picked up a belt primary drive in great condition off ebay but don't know whether to stick with the chain drive, whats your thoughts on this?
Good news is crank, rods, pistons cams etc are brand new.
Crankcase are good except the steel insert in the primary drive side that holds the main bearing in. There is the groove where the circlip sits, that part of the insert has broken off so there is no way of holding the circlip in place.
I may have to engineer something.
Once I get sorted I'm hoping to start building the engine early new year, funds permitting. I'll keep you informed.
Old 28th December 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 69
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sporty
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
Other Motorcycle Model: Pan, Evo, Indian
Other Motorcycle Year: 61
egarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the roughegarrett is a jewel in the rough

Hey guys, POI, just noticed a 124" S&S on ebay. High bucks, but a looker. Sez it streetable. Beautiful bike....
Old 3rd January 2011
Biker

Happy New Year to everyone.
Chevelle what kind of BHP is your engine putting out please?
Do you know how many top ends Sputhe actually produced?
Cheers, waffa1.
Old 3rd January 2011

chevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffa1 View Post
Happy New Year to everyone.
Chevelle what kind of BHP is your engine putting out please?
Do you know how many top ends Sputhe actually produced?
Cheers, waffa1.
Hello, I dont know the quantity Sputhe put out. I have only seen 8 in photo's from the net.
My 77CI, I would guestimate at 90 rear wheel HP, never dynoed, I know its a hell of alot stronger than my 4&5/8 stroke XLCH.

My Friends 92CI Sputhe ran 124 HP on the dyno, he put a ton of effort into that engine / bike.
He actually wants me to buy his bike.
What do you think its worth?
It is set up like a XLCR w/ the tank and rear section.
Old 4th January 2011
Biker

Thanks chevelle, will you buy your friends bike?
It's hard to say what it would be worth over here, the market is strange where Harley's are concerned.
I'm hoping to get the engine bits vapour blasted this month so I'll keep you informed.
Cheers, Waffa1
Old 28th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffa1 View Post
Thanks chevelle, will you buy your friends bike?
It's hard to say what it would be worth over here, the market is strange where Harley's are concerned.
I'm hoping to get the engine bits vapour blasted this month so I'll keep you informed.
Cheers, Waffa1
I think I will buy it in the spring, I need to get my project back together. If I were to buy it now I would have too much fun playing w/ the new toy and the old toy would stay in a million pieces.

Anyway here is another Sputhe Sportster..... this ones got NOS!
http://www.indianrestorations.com/articles-1982.shtml

And Another:

http://www.indianrestorations.com/ar...ing-1999.shtml
Old 28th January 2011
Biker

Default NOS Sputhe

Many thanks for the link to the NOS Sputhe chevelle, I've managed to buy Easyriders mag # 108 from ebay usa.
The last email I got from bigbear was late on last year & he was telling me he was going to move to Arizona I think???
Maybe that's why he hasn't been on here?
I gave him all the fin dimensions from my heads & cylinders & also told him I'd had to have head gaskets made because the face to face surfaces were corroded, a guy your side called Lani ( advertises on ebay ) made them for me, lovely job. Keep you informed when I get things done.
Old 6th June 2011
Biker

Hi, I'm starting to get things going with the Sputhe but need some help please.
I was hoping to junk the generator & fit an alternator, I've been told that an alternator is available to buy, does this replace the generator in the original position or do you have to adapt the primary case to fit it?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 6th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlcr
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
bigbear is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of ways that I know of. 1st check this one out on the forum - these are available from vtwin:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=599461
I believe these rotate externally.........and they're supposed to be available with an internal regulator.
There is another post here somewhere, and they've used a small automotive alternator with a machined adaptor, which gives a little more amperage. I'll try to dig it out

Last edited by bigbear; 6th June 2011 at 20:54.. Reason: adding comment
Sponsored Links