The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTKL Limited Low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default I got this beautiful new rear pulley ...

... but the problem is that all shops are telling me I need to re-consider.

According to one of the shops, my '05 XL883L comes with a 136 tooth 1 1/8" belt and a 68 tooth rear pulley. I have a 65 tooth pulley I want to put on, and am told I will need to replace my belt to a 1 1/8" 133 tooth belt.

According to my last J&P cycles catalogue, there's only one from Dayco (602-277), none in that size from Gates.

Aquiring the parts is not the problem, it's the loss of torque & rwhp. I'm being told that I'll loose quite a bit of torque & rwhp with this conversion. This bike is quite peppy for its size, so how much will I really loose?

If so, would a 1200 upgrade fix this? The factory 1200 has a 137 tooth belt, so I can only imagine it comes with a 70 tooth pulley. Changing it down to a 65 would cause problems too?

I need a good explanation before I go ahead and make a mistake...
Old 19th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
MonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the rough

Putting a smaller pulley on the back would actually make the bike feel a little less peppy and torquey, slower out of the hole for sure. But you will be turning lower RPM's on the highways if thats what your after. As far as HP and TQ figures, they will still be the same your changing gearing not anything as far as the motor is concerned idk who told you you would loose HP but there idiots.
2007 XL883L- Pearl black or nighty tins, V&H short or side shots depends on my mood lol, Drag bars, fwd. controls, mini speedo, wire tuck, coil and ignition moved, solo saddle, other stuff moved/removed.
Old 19th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I switched my International '93 Sportster from a 55 rear pulley and 125 tooth belt to the US Standard of 61 tooth rear pulley and a 128 tooth belt and didn't really notice any big difference.
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 19th August 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTKL Limited Low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
I switched my International '93 Sportster from a 55 rear pulley and 125 tooth belt to the US Standard of 61 tooth rear pulley and a 128 tooth belt and didn't really notice any big difference.
You increased it... I'm actually decreasing it. Will it really matter?
Old 19th August 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

XLdaveR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnythebunny View Post
... but the problem is that all shops are telling me I need to re-consider.

According to one of the shops, my '05 XL883L comes with a 136 tooth 1 1/8" belt and a 68 tooth rear pulley. I have a 65 tooth pulley I want to put on, and am told I will need to replace my belt to a 1 1/8" 133 tooth belt.

According to my last J&P cycles catalogue, there's only one from Dayco (602-277), none in that size from Gates.

Aquiring the parts is not the problem, it's the loss of torque & rwhp. I'm being told that I'll loose quite a bit of torque & rwhp with this conversion. This bike is quite peppy for its size, so how much will I really loose?

If so, would a 1200 upgrade fix this? The factory 1200 has a 137 tooth belt, so I can only imagine it comes with a 70 tooth pulley. Changing it down to a 65 would cause problems too?

I need a good explanation before I go ahead and make a mistake...
All '04&up Sporty's use a 68 tooth rear pulley. Factory 1200's has a 137 tooth belt and 29 tooth trans sprocket (30 tooth for HDI)
Old 19th August 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

XLdaveR has disabled reputation

I'm fitting a 2000+ BT rear pulley to my '05 Sporty

This may help
Old 19th August 2009

XLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this pointXLFREAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Change the front pully, if you want it to go faster put a 30 or 31 cog pully on it remove the 29 cog pully, I put a 27 tooth cog on my XL1200S from a 883, Bolted riight on, then put a Baker 26 tooth lightweight alloy sprocket on it, (superb product) didn't even have to change the belt. also put a 7500RPM Screamin Eagle ign mod on it, the performance increase was dramitic! I show rice rockets my taillight now. Sportster is a sporty bike, if you want a hiway cruiser get a Road King, Soft Tail even a Dyna Glide. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Deane
Old 20th August 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

If you drop 3 teeth on the back pully you can restore the same gearing by going down 1 tooth on the front pulley. So do the rear pulley as you planned and swap out your 28 tooth front pulley (I assume that's right for an '05 883 where you are) for a 27 tooth one.

Your belt might be too long so find one that's 2-3 teeth shorter than your stock 136 teeth.

I had an '05 1200R.
Old 20th August 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxsterUK View Post
If you drop 3 teeth on the back pully you can restore the same gearing by going down 1 tooth on the front pulley. So do the rear pulley as you planned and swap out your 28 tooth front pulley (I assume that's right for an '05 883 where you are) for a 27 tooth one.

Your belt might be too long so find one that's 2-3 teeth shorter than your stock 136 teeth.
Read your update and the bike is lookin' good, Fox...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Sponsored Links
Old 20th August 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnythebunny View Post
You increased it... I'm actually decreasing it. Will it really matter?
Yes, I understand that your decreasing but, I would think that if I didn't hardly notice any difference on an increase that you'll probably not notice much on a decrease.