The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Ulster girls...

"Actually, Roedean is just down the road from me. "

Hah! I learned that song from a girl from Ulster back when we were in the hippies together. She never was much of a speller, but she sure was a lot of fun at a party!
Wiseco K1655s; Joker Machine AC; SE 'SP' muffs w/ Cycle Shack baffles; OEM SHOCKS on Tamarack -1" blocks; Metz 880s (110x19; 160x15) on laced wheels; Progressive fork springs; 4.5 gal tank; ReddTigger Mod Gauge Mount System...

See thread [url]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1102057[/url] for a "[I]pictorial history[/I]".
Old 13th October 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lad View Post
That looks good:

Have you got the matching footpegs?

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)

Last edited by Folkie; 1 Week Ago at 20:11.. Reason: Fixed pic
Old 14th October 2009

Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Talking But wait--That's not all! Collect the entire set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
That looks good:

Have you got the matching footpegs?
"CHAH!"

(No good pics of defeet pegs--use your imagination):
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA

But here are the matching grips.
Kinda match my customized muff heatshields.

btw: I poked my nose into our local mega hardware store today:
Lotsa brass, but all SAE(Std) !?! Slotted.
We have a 'fasteners are us' here called "Fastenall". I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Last edited by Folkie; 1 Week Ago at 20:11.. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 14th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha YZ250F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
vettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud ofvettelover84 has much to be proud of

Sweet. I really like the derby cover. There already have the EOD badge design in the system!
Old 14th October 2009

Cool Footpegs too!

A-Hah! HOWZAT? I inflated and cropped a pic of the whole bike.

Old 14th October 2009
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A-Hah! HOWZAT? I inflated and cropped a pic of the whole bike.

Nice!
Old 15th October 2009

Talking "four??"

I called "Fastenall", my usual source for...unusual...
fasteners and explained to the order clerk, a very pleasant young woman named Ginny, what we were looking for:
"Solid brass machine screws, metric, M6 x 20mm, countersunk." Then I paused and said, "Not slotted or phillips." I think I heard a snicker or a giggle at the other end of the line. There was a pause of similar length on her part before she cleared her throat and said,
"(ahem) Wow. That'll be some special order."
Then she uttered the question I dreaded the most:
"And how many would you be ordering, Sir?"
"...four...."
That was when she lost control and began a hearty guffaw that seemed to last nearly a full minute.
Then, "Oh, you'll have to excuse me, Sir. Yes, I will look into the availability of those items. Four? Are you sure?
Most customers order in the hundreds."
Just for fun I said, "OK then, how about you give me a price for a box of 100, and the price per each."
She said she'll call back, so I'm sitting here waiting by the phone.
Sorry to get your hopes up but, who knows? Ginny might surprise us.
Old 15th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Try these guys:

http://www.jambrass.com/index.html

Might not have to buy a thousand...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Sponsored Links
Old 15th October 2009
Brass Nut

Quote:
I called "Fastenall", my usual source for...unusual...
fasteners and explained to the order clerk, a very pleasant young woman named Ginny, what we were looking for:
"Solid brass machine screws, metric, M6 x 20mm, countersunk." Then I paused and said, "Not slotted or phillips." I think I heard a snicker or a giggle at the other end of the line. There was a pause of similar length on her part before she cleared her throat and said,
"(ahem) Wow. That'll be some special order."
Then she uttered the question I dreaded the most:
"And how many would you be ordering, Sir?"
"...four...."
That was when she lost control and began a hearty guffaw that seemed to last nearly a full minute.
Then, "Oh, you'll have to excuse me, Sir. Yes, I will look into the availability of those items. Four? Are you sure?
Most customers order in the hundreds."
Just for fun I said, "OK then, how about you give me a price for a box of 100, and the price per each."
She said she'll call back, so I'm sitting here waiting by the phone.
Sorry to get your hopes up but, who knows? Ginny might surprise us.

You're a hero Tom.

I had my hopes up for a firm called GI Fasteners Ltd over here. Their website said they sold machine screws of various types including snake eyes (spanner screws like Leahy's), and in various materials including brass, so I emailed them to ask, but they only do the spanner screws in stainless steel. Another firm looked promising, until I found that they don't deal with members of the public, only with manufacturers.

Last edited by Folkie; 15th October 2009 at 08:57..