The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > VENDORS > Speedway Instruments
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C Pewter Pearl (gone)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: SuperGlide Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Thornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished road
Default An Installation Adventure

My Microtach+ came in the mail yesterday, and today I had a free evening to begin The Install.

Started by unfastening the headlight, because I was following the directions and forgot to go get the XLC instructions. Made for one more chore later.

Unhooked the battery, removed the riser cover. Cut open the wiring bundles. Cut up the plastic sheathing thingy and used a lighter on the ends. Spent a good deal of time goofing with the sheathing until I figured out the trick (that you can compress it easily). Tried the suitcase connectors. Reattached everything, bike started, no tach. Was lured away by darkness and the siren song of supper.

Following supper and playtime with the offspring, went back out to make another attack. Took off the suitcase connectors, cut the green and purple wire, immediately realized my mistake (as there is NO slack on those wires). Swore. Stripped the wire ends. Snipped off a small length of extra wire. Stripped the ends. Spliced everything together, applied various wire nuts (no soldering iron handy). Re-hooking of everything following various outbursts of swearing. Turn on the juice - woo hoo! Lights up with a big fat zero. Turn it on for a few seconds, I see numbers. Happy! Swearings of joy.

Reassembly and realignment of headlight, retirement for the evening. Consumption of victory popsicles.

Pics later - I took one and the light on the tach was so bright it wasn't readable. That's a good thing.

Very satisfying to do it yourself!
Old 22nd October 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: KZ1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about2008nightster has a spectacular aura about

My install of the micro tach was less dramatic as I used the data port. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do. I get as many compliments on the tach as I do the rest of the bike (and that is frequent even though it's nearly stock). Glad to hear you like it.