The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (73), SDREDD (56), pig (54), BonRu (52), cbass (44), ssm7530 (42), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (34)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
nazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Xl efi

Hello all, new to the forum and have been reading various posts daily for the past month. I recently purchased an 07 XL 883 L and love the bike but it's my first ever EFI bike. I've owned carbed bikes and EFI cars of course but figuring this HD EFI out is quite the process. Now I haven't done anything to the bike with the exception that it has Cycle shack slip ons that came with the bike. I have some V&H straight shots on the way as the Cycle shacks are in less then ideal shape aesthetically.

To the point of this post though. Having been wrenching on motors since I was in my teens (quite a few years) I understand what is supposed to happen in an engine and I just want to breath and exhaust better on the bike not anything above that (cams, etc.) From reading all I have on these EFI bikes and having a neighbor who owns a Independent shop with a dyno I have learned there are a million opinions but basically if you start changing the bike the ECM will need to be changed respective to the mods done.

I can understand this from my car days and flashing the ECM's in them. I do think that flashing the computer is the best way to go and a wide band O2 sensor which would allow the ECM to adjust is the ideal EFI set up. The technology on this bike is comparable to a mid 80's Ford mustang (or equiv) and those systems were less than ideal when changing cams, intakes, injectors etc. If I want to add a more free flowing air cleaner and the V&H exhaust (or existing Cycle Shacks) would a piggy back EFI controller like the PC V or Dobeck suffice? I can't see practically recreating the entire ECM in order to change a few parts. I do agree the flash tuners are ideal but man they get pricey. If it's that much of a pain I may not even change the AC and just get a stock 72 set up and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys are a wealth of info and I'm trying to read more than write. I am not trying to start any debates to which system is better or not just whether a piggy back is even worth it,
Old 12th October 2015
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
CT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of light

Power Vision from Dynojet has worked well for me, I also got the auto tune pro.
It was fun to do and learn, and the bike runs great.
Just telling you my personal opinion, and what worked for me.
Regards
Roy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12th October 2015
Biker

nazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of lightnazbom is a glorious beacon of light

From everything I've read so far the Power Vision does seem to be the one. Looking at their site today I saw the Auto Tune and another Target tune. Is the Target tune designed to be run separate from the Auto tune? They seem to be the ones who can adjust the ECM and give the best results. Is it worth if for a AC and exhaust upgrade though?
Old 13th October 2015
Master Mechanic

CT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of lightCT XR rider is a glorious beacon of light

It was worth it to me. The target tune and autotune pro, are 2 different means to the same end. With autotune pro you use the Wide band O2 sensors, take a few rides while data logging, accept the new trim values, and re flash the ECM with the new trim values.
The target tune uses the same WB O2 sensors but keeps everything in closed loop and makes the trim changes in real time as you're riding.
Like I said 2 ways to get to the same end. I had fun learning, and the bike is running well, and that's all I was hoping for. And in the future, if I change intake or exhaust, I just start the learning procedure all over again.
Regards
Roy

Old 13th October 2015
Biker

Between Autotune pro and target tune which is better in your opinion? I agree that the Power Vision seems like the way to go either way just a bit pricey. I may hold off on any AC change then or try the power commander until I can afford the Power Vision.... What are the thought on the power commander V?
Old 13th October 2015
Master Mechanic

I never had the power commander, but I know people who have, they seem to be happy with their results, I think you have to it connected to a laptop to make any changes, but I'm not too sure about that.
I started with just a piggyback tuner (patriot top fueler) one of the Dobeck variations, it was ok, didn't cost that much, and did an adequate job. But I was really intent to get the motor to run as efficiently as possible, I did the research, decided that power vision was the way to go. I've only had the target tune for 3 weeks, but I feel it's better than the autotune pro, as it makes the changes in real time, as your riding.
I know it's more expensive than just the piggyback tuner, but I'm glad I went with the PV with target tune.
Regards
Roy
I'm surprised no one else has chimed in with other suggestions, maybe they will soon.

Old 13th October 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

If it is in the budget, go target tune.
Old 13th October 2015
Biker

So as it stands now I only have modded the pipes by adding the slip ons which by the end of the week will be Straightshots (slip on). I understand the concept of the power vision auto tune and target tune better and agree either of those are the way to go after some decision making. Should I hold off on the AC upgrade until I can afford the PV then or is the mildness of the mods enough to wait a spell. I've read pro's and cons on the piggy back units and seem to recall similar tricks on cars and usually devices which "trick" the ECM end up being less than ideal in the long run.

As for my goals, I'm not racing the thing but rather if there is the possibility of it running closer to it's peak efficiency or rather capability I'd like to get it as close as I can; crisp throttle response, power in reserve, smooth acceleration, and the sound. I'm happy with the bike as is don't get me wrong but feel there is some untapped potential there (as there usually is in factory vehicles). I have flashed my car's ECM and have the scanner that can read the sensors and lambda and so on so I can also diagnose potential probelms before they become huge. As far as I know my bike doesn't have that level of sophistication. That being said there is more on the operator to learn so they can understand what changes need to be made.

Sorry for the ramble, basically should I wait on the AC until I get a ECM flash device or even better and "auto tune" type of device. I've read some of the posts on the PV and tuning with the wide band O2 sensors and man the guys who do that are incredible in their work!
Old 15th October 2015
Biker

So instead of starting a new thread I'd figure I'd post here. I received and installed my Vance and Hines Straightshot slip-ons tonight. I replaced my Cycle Shacks, while they still functioned for whatever reason they were rusting through the chrome at the weld joints where they reduced, were scratched and had some dents. In other words and excuse to change. When I fired her up though it was sweet but I noticed that while the Straighshots were loud, they were not really louder than the Cycle Shacks. The tone is different so I guess I'll see on my commute to work tomorrow how they compare through the gears and speeds. Just wanted to get it out there... Now to figure out the AC and ECM tuning method.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th October 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

My target tune showed up today. I hope to start testing tomorrow