The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
41caninek1 (77), InkyDoggy (67), shepsvettes (65), outlw (46), outlaw05 (46), bklyngeezer (45), Skinn (44), theguy35 (39), IronHound (39), 2013iron883 (37), huge_midgit (31)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Xl 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 2014 Street Glide Special
Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnsns View Post
My first bike also. O what it means to pay the Harley tax.
The Harley tax as it was explained to me.
Because of the air exhaust and sound regulations established by the EPA all Harleys run lean and are restricted from the factory. When a free flowing exhaust, high flow air cleaner and a tune kit (jets for older carb models) is done on a stock bike it's called "paying taxes". It's a penalty we, as owners, have to pay to get the bike to run as it should come from the factory if the EPA wouldn't stick it's nose into it.
Old 2nd September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
mjohnsns is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvader View Post
The Harley tax as it was explained to me.
Because of the air exhaust and sound regulations established by the EPA all Harleys run lean and are restricted from the factory. When a free flowing exhaust, high flow air cleaner and a tune kit (jets for older carb models) is done on a stock bike it's called "paying taxes". It's a penalty we, as owners, have to pay to get the bike to run as is should come from the factory if the EPA wouldn't stick it's nose into it.
I see now thanks for the bit of info. I always learn something from this forum!
Old 2nd September 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant future

Moz you nailed it.
It can also be called a stage 1 mod.
I'm planning on stage 1 for my 2012 Iron 883. sometime this winter.
Still can't decide which pipes or mufflers I want to use.
I'm planning on using the SE A/C but using a K&N filter in place of the provided filter.
Old 2nd September 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Xl 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 2014 Street Glide Special
Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Moz you nailed it.
It can also be called a stage 1 mod.
I'm planning on stage 1 for my 2012 Iron 883. sometime this winter.
Still can't decide which pipes or mufflers I want to use.
I'm planning on using the SE A/C but using a K&N filter in place of the provided filter.
I have the SE exhaust on my 883 and it sounds awesome. Sounds much better and tougher than my buddies 1200 Stage 1.
Old 2nd September 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Loner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant futureLoner has a brilliant future

I've been looking at the mufflers from Akrapovic, but I was reading here on the forum someone lost 8 hp,
The SE mufflers just might be the easiest way to go,I'm not looking for big hp gains or messing with Dyno runs, I might just swap out my stock chrome system for a complete black system and use SE mufflers.
Old 2nd September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
cdg is an unknown quantity at this point

Fitted the HD black tuned mufflers, buckshot heatshields and SE air cleaner , plus vieds. Now it's raining hard so will wait to go for a test ride. Looks cool with more black and less chrome on my Nightster.
Old 2nd September 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
G37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura aboutG37 has a spectacular aura about

I topped off the tank and went on a 100 mile ride with a buddy that just got a new Dyna. The new bikes dont make enough noise from the factory!! All I done to mine so far is punch the disc from the baffle and it sounds great.....
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 72
XKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I've been looking at the mufflers from Akrapovic, but I was reading here on the forum someone lost 8 hp,
The SE mufflers just might be the easiest way to go,I'm not looking for big hp gains or messing with Dyno runs, I might just swap out my stock chrome system for a complete black system and use SE mufflers.
If you're looking for slip ons there was a recent shootout done and Bassani provided the best performance increases. Akrapovic were the most expensive and provide hardly any performance gains. Here is a torque chart and a link to the article and video.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/413/13...-Shootout.aspx
Old 2nd September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 72
XKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of lightXKnight is a glorious beacon of light

Installed Velociraptor intake today.

Old 2nd September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
mexicutioner is on a distinguished roadmexicutioner is on a distinguished road

New bars and grips