The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
cbsportster (67), sjeccles (50), 2011_Nightster (50), reeb (47), Maff (47), jl_rotary (40), UMLsilva (32)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
Sportster/Buell Model #2: N/A
Sportster/Buell Year #2: N/A
Other Motorcycle Model: N/A
Other Motorcycle Year: N/A
flodinm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring

Hi!
Anybody out there that´s got any suggestions where to "hide" all circuitbreakers , fuses relays etc when building a rigid bobber ??
I´ve got a -89 sporty with a weld-on hardtail from BEOSC and I´m giong for a solo seat and being a bit lazy I´m trying to keep the stock wiring

Any help here (with pics) would be really helpful
/matz
Old 16th February 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
slumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura aboutslumchop has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodinm View Post
Hi!
Anybody out there that´s got any suggestions where to "hide" all circuitbreakers , fuses relays etc when building a rigid bobber ??
I´ve got a -89 sporty with a weld-on hardtail from BEOSC and I´m giong for a solo seat and being a bit lazy I´m trying to keep the stock wiring

/matz
i just redid all the wiring on my 90 at the neck and under the seat. doing this on a rigid and keeping the harness stock, in my opinion it will look sloppy and be extremely hard to hide all those wires. basically i think you will need a good diagram, lots of heat shrink, get rid of all the plug connectors, solder and heat shrink everything. there are some battery box/oil tanks that may help you hide everything as long as you run your harness through the back bone
Old 16th February 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Charles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to behold

Maybe convert to inline bus fuses. As for relays, I think there's only 2...at least on my EFI there was.
Since I have an EFI, I put my battery, ECU, BAS, fuses, relays and wiring in a trimmed down .50 cal ammo box. That was really all I could find that made sense.
As for the wiring itself, I'm not 100% finished yet, but I plan zip tying it all up and wrapping it in black sheathing, then just tying it to the frame. I don't want to run through the frame just in case something goes wrong and I need easy access. I think if covered in black and strategically placed, it won't be that noticeable.
Old 16th February 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the roughSorgy is a jewel in the rough

I install mine low on the front of the rear fender under the oil tank. Later Sorgy
Old 16th February 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 1988 883/1250
IamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodinm View Post
Hi!

/matz
What no pics for us?
I have a 88 and a hardtail from them also,will soon be in the same boat as you.
I've been looking in J&P's catalog...see some options in the elec. section.Most of my wires I'm leaving out
Old 16th February 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sporster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Street Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
socalhj is on a distinguished roadsocalhj is on a distinguished road

I am getting close to this stage as well. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. I was looking into a frame mounted wiring harness from Pro One....just can't justify the $400.
Old 16th February 2010

IamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the roughIamVince is a jewel in the rough

When I was stripping mine I was thinking ...just how few wire's I really need.Start/stop,lights,voltage reg....thats about all I can think of.A few to the coil and thats it
Oh and welcome
Old 17th February 2010
Biker

Hi!
Thank´s for your help.
Charles and xlfreak! Do U got som pictures U could post ??
/matz
Old 17th February 2010
Biker

Default Trying to upload some pics

Before

Welded

Mock up and cutting the sprocket cover
Sponsored Links
Old 17th February 2010

Thanks for the pics ...mine shipped yesterday