The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
kartooo (64), shotgun willy (48), jace (42), crosscut (40), 99fireredls1 (37)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha WR450F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
peter72harley is on a distinguished roadpeter72harley is on a distinguished road
Default Oil everywhere

Hi all,
Okay, have done some 500 kms after the initial build, not all without trouble. First one was that after the Bendix rebuild, the rubbers were a bit tight and that caused some fuel slippage when idling... well... that caused a fire.. and yes, I had a little stress....

1 month later:
Now I have a S&S super E shorty, and all is good (for about 300 kms)..

1 month later:
It seems the bike has a bit of an issue on the highway. All is good on the 'normal roads', but after about 20 minutes doing approx 110 km/hr I suddenly lost compression / couldn't keep power. Bit of strange noise coming from the top.. after 2 minutes on the side of the highway, could start her again normally and sounded normal, so continued and avoided highways ever since.
Bought a commuter bike for going to work, KLR650, does the job.

Took the Ironhead out today on the B roads. After about 20 km at a stop-sign, I smelled oil and all of a sudden saw smoke under me.. Deja-vu, this time no flames (yet), but sh#t, don't want this! Took a look... Oil everywhere... I believe it is coming from the fuel intake, via the carb! Does that sound weird to you guys?
She was still running (I got home), which I found strange. I am talking about a lot of oil, not just a drop once in a while, but large drops, almost forming a stream...

Anyways, has anyone got any thoughts on what could be wrong this time? After spending way too much money on getting her going (blew my budget by about .. double), my finance minister says "don't spend more, sell it. The re-build of the engine will again cost way too much".

Sad Pete..
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 73
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200s
big andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi pete that sounds strange to me if the oil is coming from near the carb wtf. The oil to the top end is pumped up the two chrome tubes from cases to the rocker boxes cant see how it can get to near ya carb .Can you take a pic of where ya think it is coming from.Our you havent got oil lines running under the tank to your oil cooler up front have ya
1997 1200s 1250 Hammer performance kit . Hammer performance billet inlet manifold .Hammer performance billet pushrod tube holders. energy one extra plate clutch kit . bronze oil pump drive gear upgrade
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 73
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200s
big andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond repute

Also pete the problem with it playing up on the freeway may be tight pushrods adjust them the way it tells you in the stickies in red in the iron head section much better way than in the workshop book shows you how to set them with a little more slack so you dont have tight pushrods when she gets hot.Also you may need an isolating block between carb and manifold.Your fuel may be getting to hot the blocks are made of baker lite or something like it to stop the heat going to the carb and boiling the gas
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant futurebarefoot has a brilliant future

Sounds like a scavenging problem ....
Old 16th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

could it be possible one of your line fittings has a crack in it? sounds like it is pouring out from that area.Or maybe the rubber fell apart in there i cant think of anything else that might be leaking so badly from that area.And the noise is likely loose push rods mine seem to get looser then tighter if the lock nut wasnt tight enough, makes a lot of top end clatter when that happens.Gd luck
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant futureryder rick has a brilliant future

Sounds to me like he burned up the top end. First sticking valves then damaged pistons.
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1979 and 1969 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: FXE Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
randy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud ofrandy3934 has much to be proud of

If it's a 77 oil coming from the carb would be a first for me, I'd clean it up and fire it up and find out for sure where the oil is coming from.
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Check the top oil feed line nuts when they connect to the heads. The oil may be running under one of the fins and then down onto the manifold.
Old 17th July 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 71' XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: 1956 FLH
antsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura aboutantsap has a spectacular aura about

I'll admit I'm a bit metrically challenged, but 110 km per hour sounds fast to me for a brand new motor with only a few hundred miles on it. might want to do a leak down test
Sponsored Links
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsap View Post
I'll admit I'm a bit metrically challenged, but 110 km per hour sounds fast to me for a brand new motor with only a few hundred miles on it. might want to do a leak down test
+1 I agree that is 65to 75 miles per hr way to fast to run steady at on a motor that has less than 2000 K on it (1250 miles ) Nikki