The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Car Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Car Talk Believe it or not sometime we like to talk about our cars and/or their problems. Post any car related item here.

Members Birthdays
kartooo (64), shotgun willy (48), jace (42), crosscut (40), 99fireredls1 (37)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2017
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I have a standard oil pump converted to high volume?

There is no high volume oil pump available for the engine I want to install one on (1988-2001 Chrysler 3.0 V6).
Is there a service that converts stock oil pumps to high volume?
Old 14th September 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Is the 3.0 made by Mitsubishi for Chrysler?
What is current volume?
What is your target volume?
Old 14th September 2017

jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
Is the 3.0 made by Mitsubishi for Chrysler?
What is current volume?
What is your target volume?
Yes, that's the engine.
The engine has high miles but runs great and doesn't burn oil.
I put rebuilt heads on it last year because it had a bad a bad valve, bad valve seals, and a couple of bad lifters. I also cleaned out all the carbon while I was in there.

The oil pressure is at 4psi idling when the engine is hot.
I feel like it should be closer to 10psi...it was like this before the headwork and it's still the same. I think this might have contributed to the bad lifters.
Old 14th September 2017

It's a little cooler today. I'm getting a fluctuation of 6-7psi at idle when hot.
I'm thinking the crank bearings have some wear and that's where I'm losing some psi.
Old 15th September 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the delay in response, but just got back from Death Valley.
Maybe you may want a new oil pump, but I have no info on a high output unit.
Old 15th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
Sorry for the delay in response, but just got back from Death Valley.
Maybe you may want a new oil pump, but I have no info on a high output unit.
I was thinking of that too, maybe a new stock pump and pickup if I can't find a high volume.