The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (82), Chip (69), Chief4x4 (67), willyobiker (65), CBryant (64), XLCH69 (61), sage (58), VettesRule (55), jerseyjeff (55), TheExecutioner (52), SalTheWop (52), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (43), BluegrassXL (39), Superman
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Hecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really nice
Default Could someone explain this to me please...

I'll be installing a Heavy Breather as soon as it come in at the Harley Shop.
I have the SE Stage 1 now.
What are the little hoses that run from the intake to the head for?
What's the whole deal with this setup?
Also, it doesn't look like they come with the Heavy Breather.
Do they route them somewhere else or just do away with them.

I just want to be sure I understand going on here before I go tearing into it.

Thanks for the info...
Old 25th March 2009
Biker

dc3plt30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't that for the head breather system? One thing you DO NOT want to do is plug them up. You will blow every gasket in the engine!!

I'm sure your new breather has some sort of integral system within it that accomplishes the same goal.

Have a good one
Old 25th March 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Hecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really niceHecklerboy is just really nice

I think you're right.
After doing some more research it is for the head to breathe.
I'm sure the Heavy Breather addresses this someway.
Old 25th March 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

I believe that the backing plate of the Heavy Breather bolts to the head breathers and carries the gasses through holes in the backing plate to the carb mouth.

The function is that the crankcase has an air vent at the top of each head. On HD air cleaners this gets piped in one way or another into the carb for emission reasons. A lot of people don't like having crud piped into their carbs and instead reroute the vents with a breather kit and use an air cleaner that doesn't have this set up.

Fox