The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
collinsb (73), bulldog1200C (59), DrBlond (54), Moonpie (52), mercybeat (47), mogwai (43), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (40)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Unclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enough
Default Top end rebuild questions, piston direction

Had to rebuild the top end on my 72 xlch due to a number of reasons.

I went with the cylinder and piston replacement kit from J and P cycles, stock bore.

Question I have is regarding piston orientation. I've been looking at the pistons that came with the kit, and they have no marks on them that would lead me to install them one way or the other on the rods. Is this normal? Though I'd read somewhere that there were distinct marks to show the direction the piston should be installed.

I've take a bunch of measurements, and so far everything I come up with is showing the piston doesn't have an intake or exhaust side.

Any insight here would be hugely appreciated.

james
Old 17th July 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really niceboilermaker is just really nice

Some one in the Iron head section may know Maybe one of the admins can move this over there for more exposure
Old 17th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: X1
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Bobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura about

Don't know about yours but I know the after market ones had to be placed pointing in opposite directions. I think the markings for my setup went toward the exhaust.
Old 17th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Unclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enoughUnclefacts will become famous soon enough

Figured it out, there's a very shallow valve relief on one side of the piston's top.

Has to go to the intake side.