The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
cbsportster (67), sjeccles (50), 2011_Nightster (50), reeb (47), Maff (47), jl_rotary (40), UMLsilva (32)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
DTSKVstar1100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking to change out an ignition module, old style 34265-98 for a new Dynatek DS6-1.
my problem is the old one has 5 wire to a molded plug the new one has 2 wires. I would appreciate any wiring help on this one.

bike is a 1998 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200. thanks in advance for any help
Rick
Old 18th July 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSKVstar1100 View Post
Looking to change out an ignition module, old style 34265-98 for a new Dynatek DS6-1.
my problem is the old one has 5 wire to a molded plug the new one has 2 wires. I would appreciate any wiring help on this one.

bike is a 1998 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200. thanks in advance for any help
Rick
I do not have a 98 schematic to advise color numbers (different from a Sport), but this link is for the instructions.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/396...tek-Ds6-1.html

The white wire connects to switched power, typically white/black. The instructions advise connecting to the + side of the coil primary, but you can connect to anywhere on the ignition circuit switched power white/black wire on the load side of the off/run switch. One of the 5 wires will be that white/black.

The blue wire connects to the wire from the - side of the coil. On a Sport or 2004-2006 there are two wires, the colors are y/be and be/o. Check your FSM schematic for the appropriate color. Without a FSM or year appropriate schematic, a continuity tester or ohmmeter can determine the correct wire from the coil.

DO NOT REVERSE THE WIRES OR IT WILL DESTROY THE DS6-1

Last edited by sportsterdoc; 18th July 2015 at 06:06..