The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
fhilliard (77), paulmo (73), Beloved (47), Mr. Cro (47), Chopper Duke (39), Danny3nose (37)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of light
Question Useing Cometic head gasket (torque question)

Looking at the Service manual, it has you torque the stock head gaskets to 15 ft lbs and then mark them and tighten them another 90 degrees. That completes the torqueing.

Well, the instructions Cometic and NRHS provides for the Cometic "multi-layer" gaskets is to torque them in many increments, ending in 42 ft lbs torque.

My problem is this; 3 of the 4 bolts on each head will tighten to 42 ft lbs (no problem) ... but, the rear bolt on the right side of each head (this is one of the long bolts) seems to just stretch ... On both heads, this same bolt never wants to get to 42 ft lbs torque.

I am afraid that if I keep tightening it, these 2 bolts may break.

My head bolts were lubed with engine oil prior to tightening as per the instructions.

Has anyone here used Cometic MLS head gaskets and had the same problem?

Thanks,
Ron

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition

Last edited by Turbota; 29th January 2005 at 17:06..
Old 29th January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Ron. when I put my heads back on the first time with cometics I went with the standard HD torque settings. I had the 3 piece cometics which I think are the ones you are using.

Now you got me second guessing which way to go the next itme.
95 inch and more very soon.
Old 29th January 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

never come accross a problem with 'em
Old 29th January 2005

Turbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of lightTurbota is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a pic of the instructions provided by Cometic for the 3 piece MLS head gaskets: (NRHS basically says the same thing in the sheet they give you):

Old 29th January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I only got the bare gaskets. I will follow these instructions when I put it back together this time. Thanks Ron
Old 29th January 2005

Here is a photo I just took of part of the NRHS fact sheet.

It also talkes about clearancing the rocker boxes:

Old 29th January 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

Ok they say to check with clay...... same thing....... ya need ta check it
Old 29th January 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Dyna Street Bob
Gyahmers is an unknown quantity at this point

Well barry1967 don't feel alone, I went with the HD torque sequence too.

I didn't even think of doing it any other way or bother reading the, "instructions!"

On a positive note it doesn't seem to have hurt anything and after 7000 miles it still holding together and no leaks.
Old 11th February 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyahmers
Well barry1967 don't feel alone, I went with the HD torque sequence too.

I didn't even think of doing it any other way or bother reading the, "instructions!"

On a positive note it doesn't seem to have hurt anything and after 7000 miles it still holding together and no leaks.
I'm in the middle of the same thing with James gaskets...

Seems that when I get to 15 or so ft.lbs., they don't really WANT to tighten anymore...everythiung is lubed properly....I don't get it?!?! I don't want to break a stud....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Sponsored Links
Old 11th February 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

And now I've found (after reading this thread) that not only does James recommend a finished torque of 38-42 ft lbs, but they also seem to have the exact opposite torquing order than my manual...

Got to 40 ft lbs easy this time in the James order, and just about 1/4 turn from the 14-15 ft lbs I stopped at torquing in the other direction following the manual...

I feel better now...