The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
RISport, Sleeper, Chaoszen (64), wojmc (62), Deicer18 (60), PhilR1957 (60), Bikerchk (60), bblbbl (42), 883Hugger (33)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: S3T Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Ralph Shafer is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2001 S3T relay clicks, no crank

I left the the addtional headlights on and drained the battery the first day I rode the bike. After jump starting the bike to get to work the bike ran fine. I have a 120 mile round trip commute so I figured the battery would charge enough to stat again at lunch time. It did but it didn,t want to start again. The odometer and tail lights come on but the neutral light and the oil light only blink. I can hear the relay click but no check engine light. Since I had to jump start the bike and just to cover a possible I replaced the breaker and charged the battery. I also checked the diodes and tried a new relay in both positions. I don't see any obvious wire problems.
Old 23rd August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: S3T Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Ralph Shafer is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink intermittant ignition problem-always check the switch

The problem was the ignition switch. I know that intermittant ignition problems are sometimes caused by a bad switch but I have a problem with trying to make things more complicated than they really are. When I calmed down and tried tuning the switch very slowly I found the sweet spot.
Old 23rd August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I killed my battery once with the lights and ended up having to change it. These batteries are fickle. I bought a gel battery and I have been happy ever since. These batteries don't like to be drained that far.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70. [IMG]http://xlforum.net/photopost/watermark.php?file=55680&size=1[/IMG]
Old 8th August 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

Adding to this Old Post, I had the same Issue, 'Clicking Only' a New Relay at and HD dealer cost 5.00, plugged it in, started right up, note- for 5.00 bucks I bought a spare..