The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
steve yorke (60), lugster, edman (52), Hudsonator (50), kozman32 (50), R3DN3X (48), gmcsid (47), mitch (42)
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Hogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond reputeHogwylde has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys!

I just never would have thought brake fluid was to be changed. I guess I will be doing that real soon.
Old 15th June 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
River Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really niceRiver Runner is just really nice

This thread got me thinking, my 2002 with 11k miles probably has never had a change. I did mine today and ended up with air in the line. Kind of a PIA but worked through it, tickling and pumping till I got all the air out and built up pressure. The old fluid was an amber color. The rear went a lot better as I took more care while bleeding. The response did seem better when I took it for a test spin... or maybe I'm just imagining it.

Just a thought. I have disk brakes on my mountain bike. When you bleed them you put the fluid in a bottle with a clear hose on it and squeeze the fluid in from the caliper. When you get clear fluid with no bubbles out at the lever end your done. I don't think the bottle I use is large enough for the motorcycle though. I'll have to keep my eyes out for something that might work like this. Any ideas?