The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > NON-ENGLISH FORUMS > Deutsch
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Deutsch Dieser Forumbereich ist für die deutsche Sprache

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (82), Chip (69), Chief4x4 (67), willyobiker (65), CBryant (64), XLCH69 (61), sage (58), VettesRule (55), jerseyjeff (55), TheExecutioner (52), SalTheWop (52), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (43), BluegrassXL (39), Superman
Main Menu
Tags
german, inspection, tuv

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2015
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant future
Default German TUV Inspections

Sorry for the English, German classes don't start until November 30th.

Moved to Germany in February. I am interested in understanding the legal limits of what is or isn't allowed by law. I understand a motorcycle will be inspected every two years by the TUV. Can someone from Germany confirm what can be changed on the motorcycle?

Suspension modifications are okay?

Exhaust mods will fail because of emission testing?

Intake mods maybe depends on emission test?

Engine mods stage 2 or higher no go because of emission test?

Different tires sizes no go?

Seat, bags, fairings are all good?

Did I get the above correct?

Is there anything else I should know?

John
Old 14th October 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Other Motorcycle Model: Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
DéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really nice

Hi,

it´s a lot to explain. Try to explain the basics (short version)
Old 14th October 2015
Biker

DéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really niceDéDé is just really nice

Hi,

first of all you can generally say that you need for your mods papers, exept fenders, luggage and bling bling parts.
We´ve two different types of papers.
1. TÜV-Gutachten. European-wide. Parts with this paper you can put on your bike as long as it is listed. Technical inspection at the TÜV department is necessary, documents will be corrected then
2. ABE Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis (permission to run with those parts)
Those parts you could put on your bike without technical inspection at the TÜV department, documents should be with you

Suspension modifications are okay? Yes, PS for example are coming with an Austrian TÜV-Gutachten- see #1

Exhaust mods will fail because of emission testing? No mods allowed, exhaust changes are possible, most of the aftermarket mufflers are coming with ABE #2
imho Miller exhaust is the best
Due to noise and emission restrictions all bikes younger than 94 have to have an "e" number on the mufflers, younger than 2007 catalytic with an additional number 9 ore 6 in a cercle

Intake mods maybe depends on emission test? BS and SE, is possible with an restriction plate #1 no emmission tests, only every two years, but intake noise will be checked

Engine mods stage 2 or higher no go because of emission test? #1 for 1200 upgrade from Harley OEM

Different tires sizes no go? Depends on your TÜV departement, some do, some not

Seat, bags, fairings are all good? Generally yes

could write much more, it sounds difficult, but as long as you buy parts with the documents it´s very easy.

Some TÜV-Departments do confirm parts without papers, but it´s difficult.
TÜV inspectors are regulary coming to dealerships for their work. We learned mods are easier to confirm there
Old 14th October 2015

SonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant futureSonWon has a brilliant future

DéDé

Thank you very much for the reply.

I plan to buy a new Sportster Superlow XL1200T or Custom XL1200CA in the spring. I am asking all these questions so I can understand what I am getting myself into.

You have confirm almost everything I suspected. I think I understand. There are two categories of parts: TÜV and ABE. TÜV requires inspection when installed, ABE only requires papers to be carried.

I am not clear on stage 1 modifications. You mentioned Screaming Eagle but with a restriction plate, that defeats the purpose I think. Not sure what BS stands for? If the Miller Exhaust allows for better engine performance then that helps or are they just less expensive than OEM? I don't want louder just a little more power. I think you also said stage 1 is okay from a dealer? Call me confused.

I am hoping to do all my own maintenance myself, is that a problem?

I guess flashing the ECU is not allowed unless I am a dealer?

Do you have a list of websites for online shopping?

Thank you again, you have been very helpful.

John
Old 14th October 2015
Biker

I am not clear on stage 1 modifications. You mentioned Screaming Eagle but with a restriction plate, that defeats the purpose I think. Not sure what BS stands for? If the Miller Exhaust allows for better engine performance then that helps or are they just less expensive than OEM? I don't want louder just a little more power. I think you also said stage 1 is okay from a dealer? Call me confused.

Stage 1 is ok, better performance, BS is Big Sucker, german legal Stage 1 is for example a Miller (e-approuved) exhaust, but those types air cleaners are only legal with noise restrictor plates, see link
http://shop.madebypistor.de/Luftfilt...-Angeben-.html
I am hoping to do all my own maintenance myself, is that a problem?
This is absolotely no problem, I do the same

I guess flashing the ECU is not allowed unless I am a dealer?
no ECU flashing required with restrictor plate air cleaners, possible at the official dealership, some do it and have no problems at the emission controls at the TÜV, but it´not legal

In the EU we´ve more the problems concernig exhaust noise and baffles, not so much the emissions on motorcycles, as long they are Euro3 (law) conform

Do you have a list of websites for online shopping?
Yes
http://www.miller-custombike.de/inde...-davidson.html
https://www.custom-chrome-europe.com/home.html
http://www.m-motorcycle.de/
http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjec...lish&page=Main
Old 14th October 2015

DéDé,

This is all very interesting and you have been very helpful.

Now I can do some more research.

Thank you very much!

John